Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums

Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums (https://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health and Welfare (https://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/health-welfare/)
-   -   Senior dogs (https://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/health-welfare/232734-senior-dogs.html)

techie 07-31-2019 05:42 PM

I looked up geriatric beagles. I am trying to convince Dave to do twice yearly well checks and then next time they see the vet, ask about fish oil supplements too.
techie

Nebuchadnezzar 07-31-2019 07:27 PM

We give fish oil! Wild salmon oil. And I gave Nebbers a probably-expired glucosamine last night (but does it really expire?)

Cassie 08-01-2019 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar (Post 880728)
We give fish oil! Wild salmon oil. And I gave Nebbers a probably-expired glucosamine last night (but does it really expire?)

Does the fish oil cause any tummy upset? Most likely the expiration just reduces the potency... depending how out of date.

Nebuchadnezzar 08-01-2019 08:33 PM

No tummy upset from the fish oil. I think we give 1000mg once a day (we used to give twice a day but the vet said that was too much, we asked because Xerxes is such a little shrimp. Luc always got twice a day and we thought that was okay for Neb but I guess not. Didn't cause him any harm that we can see.) It's one capsule anyways. Right now we have Jamiesons if you guys have that in the US.

I checked last night, the glucosamine expired in April, so it should be fine, but yes, just a little less potent. I can't see it causing harm but what do I know. :)

Cassie 08-01-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar (Post 880762)
No tummy upset from the fish oil. I think we give 1000mg once a day (we used to give twice a day but the vet said that was too much, we asked because Xerxes is such a little shrimp. Luc always got twice a day and we thought that was okay for Neb but I guess not. Didn't cause him any harm that we can see.) It's one capsule anyways. Right now we have Jamiesons if you guys have that in the US.

I checked last night, the glucosamine expired in April, so it should be fine, but yes, just a little less potent. I can't see it causing harm but what do I know. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Im going to give the fish oil a try. Thx.

techie 08-02-2019 05:06 PM

We'll see if hubby agrees with adding fish oil!
techie

Nebuchadnezzar 08-02-2019 06:02 PM

Hopefully it helps you guys. I think it helps Neb and kept Luc as well as he was (such as he was) until 15.5 years old (as a bigger dog too).

Cassie 08-02-2019 08:41 PM

I bought a bottle and will start tomorrow with 1/2 tsp.

Nebuchadnezzar 08-04-2019 03:44 PM

I hope it helps! Which reminds me, we're almost out of fish oil.

Cassie 08-04-2019 06:32 PM

121 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar (Post 880822)
I hope it helps! Which reminds me, we're almost out of fish oil.

I sure hope so too. This morning she smelled her food with the oil and walked away...i thought oh boy there goes $40 bucks but she went back to it and ate. Today is the second day so im monitoring her walking....fingers crossed.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.