Neutering Banksy - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Neutering Banksy

We have decided to neuter Banksy and we have an appointment for the surgery tomorrow.

I've read all the materials and read all the positives about getting the procedure done but I'm very anxious about sending our boy into surgery.

I understand that this should help with his humping and somewhat aggressive behaviour but I don't want certain things about him to change.

I love the way he get stuck on a scent and must follow it where it leads or how he runs after rabbit he gets a whiff of a block down the road. I love when we go on a trail and he can run for 2 hours like a mad man!

Anybody has any experience of having their pups "beagly" nature changing after the procedure?
Attached Thumbnails
Neutering Banksy-img_20190624_171057_1562080911121.jpg   Neutering Banksy-img_20190609_104057_1562080994495.jpg  
mcdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nope neutering doesn't stop Beagly nature to follow EVERY scent lol. It just stops reproduction!
At the risk of sounding sexist Males worry about than Females! ( humans that is )
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a female but I did ask the Vet about if neutering/spaying changed behavior, like calming dogs...the answer? "Nope!"...lol
You're dog will be fine. I was anxious about the spaying surgery. My dog was back in obedience class in 4 days and had no problems.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

We neutered Neb at 18 months (I wanted him to mature as an intact dog) and he stayed the same (no calmer) other than that he stopped humping my female dog who had hip dysplasia and was getting mighty angry (we'd train him to stop, he'd stop for a few days to a week, then start up again). That was the only reason we neutered him when we did but in retrospect it gives us more freedom and I'm glad we did.

He is a mix, so isn't as bad at following scents as Xerxes (who came to us neutered and has a great zest for scenting, baying, and trying to chase prey) but I would say the only possible thing I notice with Neb, and I put it down to a consequence of a late neuter (vs. neutering period) as I think it'd be at least as bad if he were still intact, but Neb - who loves pretty well every dog he's ever met as long as they're nice to him (if they're aggressive forget about it, Neb takes #$%$ from no-one) - if he is going to be the initiator of aggression, 99.9% of the time that dog is intact. He has played with/met some intact dogs and been fine, but if he's going to dislike a dog, that dog is intact.
(edit: which is to say, I could be wrong, but I think waiting to neuter Neb made him more...strivey?...with intact dogs and more likely to react poorly to them/their hormones - he sees them as challengers, I think)
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!

Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 07-02-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They only change for the better. Neutering and spaying doesn't change any of the normal beagle traits.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

So our vet called last night and had to postpone the neutering until the 18th July.

I decided to take Banksy to the dog park last night to run about and blow off some steam. At the park there was an Airedale Terrier walking around trying to hump almost every dog he approaches and his owner wasn't stopping him. One thing I hate about the dog park but that is a argument for another time.

Next thing I noticed Banksy trying to hump the dogs right after. The boy is easily influenced I feel lol. Grabbed him real quick and went home then he proceeded to hump everything there.

I hope this behaviour gets fixed when he is fixed 😊.
mcdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdurham View Post
So our vet called last night and had to postpone the neutering until the 18th July.

I decided to take Banksy to the dog park last night to run about and blow off some steam. At the park there was an Airedale Terrier walking around trying to hump almost every dog he approaches and his owner wasn't stopping him. One thing I hate about the dog park but that is a argument for another time.

Next thing I noticed Banksy trying to hump the dogs right after. The boy is easily influenced I feel lol. Grabbed him real quick and went home then he proceeded to hump everything there.

I hope this behaviour gets fixed when he is fixed 😊.
On the topic of dog parks...
My dog went to an obedience class run by 3 K9 Sheriffs... they emphatically said to never go to dog parks because you cant control not only other dogs but the do-nothing owners. Dog on dog bites are very dangerous and usually cause severe infections. An owner in my local area took her dog to the park where it was attacked and killed by another dog. She tried to intervene and was attacked also. Bottom line is to be very careful and think twice about going. I stopped going after encountering a coyote.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement