Multiple UTI's and Crystals - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Multiple UTI's and Crystals

Our sweet Maverick is 8 months old. When he was 2 months old he had white blood cells in his urine (everything else was clear) and was treated with antibiotic. They never rechecked his urine at follow up visits. Last month I noticed he was dribbling and asking to go out a lot so I took him in and he had white blood cells and bacteria. Once again he was put on antibiotics. We just went for a shot booster/recheck and I asked them to check his urine again. He has more white blood cells, red blood cells, bacteria and struvite crystals. They put him on the same antibiotic, a probiotic and changed him to Royal Canin Urinary SO. I go back in a month and at that time if the urine comes back positive again they want to to an X-ray to look for stones. If he has stones, they want to do surgery and neuter. I am totally for the neuter and have been pushing for it, but the men in my household have been battling me telling me I need to at least wait until he is a year old.

I am trying to find out if anyone has experience with this? When we first got Mav, he was on puppy chow. We made a couple food changes to find the right fit and he has been on Fromm Classics puppy for several months. I actually don't like feeding him this new food that is full of fillers, but I do read it helps clear crystals and stones. I have noticed in his urinalysis tests that his ph runs low. It was 6.0, then 5.0. I am waiting for them to post the online record from the visit yesterday to check and see what it was this time.

I have had dogs my entire life, but this is my first male dog and my first Beagle. I have never had these issues before and looking for any input about what I could be doing to help him. Thank you!
mdwovb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wonder if its a prostate issue as noted in this study of un-neutered dogs.
https://www.brown.edu/Research/Colwi...spaynueter.htm
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Men have a LOT of problems with neutering male dogs! They don't have the same problem with female dogs! Wonder why
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Luc towards the end of his life had a couple of UTIs. Antibiotics made a huge difference. Probiotics are good too while they're on antibiotics.

I didn't realize there was a link between intact males and UTIs. Luc was neutered.

I also didn't realize dogs got crystals, I thought that was a cat thing! But the foods are supposed to be quite effective.
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I give my dog a good tablespoon of plain yogurt a couple of times a week which is a good source of probiotics.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
Men have a LOT of problems with neutering male dogs! They don't have the same problem with female dogs! Wonder why
techie
I know, right?! They never had an issue with my spaying our females which always happened before 6 months of age.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the article and all the tips!!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Any improvement? Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 01-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just an update on Maverick...he was on Royal Canin Urinary SO for several months during which time we had him neutered. Three months after neutering we tested his urine and it was clean. At that time, the vet felt we could try taking him off the prescription food. He hasn't had any problems since, so looks like he just needed to be neutered.

However, now he has a weight problem and needs to loose about 5 lbs. The vet says he should only have 500 calories a day to lose weight. He had bad allergies so I took him off food that had chicken, wheat, corn and soy, but still had grains. Its Victor Whitefish and Salmon formula. His coat looks great and hardly any itching and chewing of paws, but it would only be 1 1/4 cups of food a day per the vet. I am in search of a new food but it is so overwhelming to find one. I would welcome any suggestions.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cut back on the volume of dog food but add a bunch of low sodium canned green beans for filler. The dog then eats more without calories. I do this all the time.. i mash the beans so my dog cant pick them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement