Advice - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice

I could use some advice about kids and dogs.
My Grandchildren come and stay over at the house and for the most part everything is good as far as Molly and the kids interaction.
I know kids will be kids and I've explained many times that Molly is not a toy.
Molly is now 1 1/2 years old and something must have happened a couple of months ago between her and my 11 year old Grandson. My Grandson of course said he didn't do anything to Molly but she doesn't trust him anymore and tries to avoid him.
I don't leave them alone with Molly and always reinforce how to behave with Molly.
When they are here I always talk about Molly needing quiet time and all the other things that kids need to know, but being kids I think it goes in one ear and *poof* gone!
Does anyone know If there is a book that was written just for kids.
I thought if I could find a good book I would send it to the boys and that would help them to understand the correct ways to interact with a dog.
Molly is a good dog but she is use to our quiet routine LOL....and when the boys are here it sure isn't quiet......
Thanks in advance for your help.

myyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

If they're younger I'd consider starting with 'Don't Lick the Dog' It's by Wendy someone or other...
beaglebeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would put the rules on paper and hang it up.
On another paper it would explain first warning-I tell you 2nd warning-loose tv for a day 3 warning grounded. I would have them read it if they are old enough every day they come over. If not old enough to read pyut them on your lap and read it to them and discuss-have them repeat it.

With my kid (5yrs old) I tell her and show her how to pet, how to let them come to you and how to let them sniff the hand. I teach her if they go away from you to let them. I also have her help me teach sit. I work the dogs a little bit then have her stand next to me and with a treat in hand give the command and give the treat when the butt hits the ground.

For a book...hmmm... not real sure. But an aritcle I have
Victoria Stilwell Positively| The Safety Guide for Children and Dogs
8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Vaccine standards!
Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Brandypup, I like the idea of posting the rules. LOL they will be on the fridge for the next visit.
Over the years I've heard many people say "oooh the kids can do anything to my dog". That is sooo wrong!
I'm aiming for mutual respect.
Thanks Beaglebeauty, My Grandchildren are too old for the book but it looks like a great book to have with smaller children.

myyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

An excellent website that may help: How to Love Your Dog: A Kid's Guide to Dog Care, Training, Tricks, Riddles, Stories, Poetry, Games, Photo Gallery, and more! Learn all about dogs!

Rules are an excellent idea!
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would recommend a safe place for the dog (its crate with the door open type thing) that is out of bounds for the children. When the dog is on its mat/in its crate etc it is to be left alone.
sweetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement