Nap time and chewy - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 01-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nap time and chewy

We have a cute beagle named Berry who turns 3 in April, but we got him when he was 1 year old. He was rehomed 3 times before coming to us, thus was too hyper and chewy. We live in an apartment so walked outdoors most of his first year with us.

Outdoors he has begun to eat other dogs' poop due to having had to place him on a hypoallergenic diet.

He is still very chewy in the apartment when unmonitored, even though he has improved slightly in the morning.

We love him and enjoy snuggling with him on our couch, but do need time to ourselves to eat and study, by sending him in to nap in one of our bedrooms. After a 1 1/2 walk, he would nap about 3 hours. However, in the past few days he has been waking up earlier or whimpering/barking to be let out when we put him in for his nap. If he is in the same room when we eat, he will grab food from the table or start to chew something in the house.

Can anyone explain what is the solution for this? Any suggestions welcome especially with regard to his chewing. We walk him 3 1/2 hours a day and play with him at least 1/2 hour in the house.
Floppyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2020, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

What sort of obedience training do you do with him? Sounds like a 'leave it' would work well outside and inside - or have you tried this?

Is it a dining room table? How is he getting access?

He is adorable by the way. I'd say you're doing a great job with the exercise.
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Put the dog either in a crate while you're eating or in another room. Dont allow around the table or hand any food from the table.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Put the dog either in a crate while you're eating or in another room. Dont allow around the table or hand any food from the table.
^^^this, exactly this. ^^^

i started my dogs this way. the pure beags were very resistant, but learned eventually. the mixed ones i have now, learned much quicker. now if they approach me when i have food, i just calmly remind them "i don't bug you for your dinner, don't bug me for mine"
it works every time.
Unread 01-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I use a convertible wood pet gate to create a boundary. There are a couple of toys inside to keep Rex busy while we eat our dinner. My daughter will give her a couple of dog treats after having our meal.

Last edited by isabellamor; Yesterday at 07:37 PM.
isabellamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2020, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think crate training is good...but I would say don't skip obedience and expecting appropriate behaviour; crate training is not a substitute for teaching how to behave.
Unread 01-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
I think crate training is good...but I would say don't skip obedience and expecting appropriate behaviour; crate training is not a substitute for teaching how to behave.
For sure obedience training. It has to be a combination of all these things. I talk to my dog a lot using the same words for what I want. Make sure everyone in the house uses the same words. I also give hand signals ( nothing fancy) but she gets what I mean. Remember, it takes time for all these things to work.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
For sure obedience training. It has to be a combination of all these things. I talk to my dog a lot using the same words for what I want. Make sure everyone in the house uses the same words. I also give hand signals ( nothing fancy) but she gets what I mean. Remember, it takes time for all these things to work.
Absolutely! Everything together.
Unread 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree with Cassie and Neb.

Sophie is not allowed in the kitchen when we are eating - she lies down at the entrance. She has a 'bed' in each of the rooms we use to relax/work/study (a large wicker basket full of old fleece blankets/remnants). When we are busy, she lies down there - although we initially used a crate for her. Have you enrolled him in obedience classes - they are very helpful, especially since you are are dealing with someone else's 'mistakes'.

Have you gotten him a Kong (fill with frozen peanut butter or other treats) to help address his chewing needs?

Consistency is key, and also understanding that since he was re-homed 3 times before you got him, he may get anxious at time (and 'chewy'). Lots of exercise is great - a tired beagle is a good beagle!!!
good luck - and thank you for giving Berry a forever home!!!
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you very much all of you for your kind responses and advice. We will try it out during meals. We have been to obedience classes (3 courses).

I know that doggie daycares and some families send the dog in to another room to nap. We send him to do so every afternoon after 1 & 1/2 hours of walking/play. He is undisturbed for 3 hours for him as well as we get to catch up on lagging studies/tasks. It also refreshes us for the next part of the day, as he is a handful.

Recently he has been waking up earlier, after 1&1/2 hours or 2. Is this due to growing older? He will be 3 in April.
Floppyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement