Arya is 8 months & off lead during walks - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2019, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Arya is 8 months & off lead during walks

Arya is doing great. She's completely bonkers but we love her to bits 😍
It took us a while to get used to things & it was scary to just imagine what it will he like with this awesome but demanding new addition to our family but we're seeing light at the end of a tunnel.

We LOVE our walks and she gets good 1,5hrs a day. She is OFF LEAD ladies and gents too which she loves. We were scared to try it but we've been practicing over the last 2 months (making sure she responds when we call her) and trust me it's so worth it. We only do it at the usual routes we take, we wouldn't do it next to a street or anything. I see a huge difference in her behaviour ever since we've started it and she gets really mellow in the house after her great run around outside. When we're out, she fetches (or lies down) and chews sticks. She LOOOOOOVES the balls and I must admit a few ended up in the canal but hey, that's just the beauty of having a horrible aim HAHA!

The downside is she chews her blankets and we find it difficult to find a toy for around the house that's suitable and she won't shred to pieces 😜 the balls are out of the question for us as we've had neighbours complaining when we throw them for Arya to fetch. Which I get. They are noisy.
We have got a bone which is this hard rubber thing (don't know the correct term for it) and she likes it but her favourite blanket is a go to thing.
She doesn't chew shoes or our blankets - she leaves them when we say leave. So this is all good. 👍🏻

We recommend the crate highly to any dog owner. She sleeps in it in our living room downstairs. And when we leave her with her carer sometimes over night, he says that even though she starts her night on the couch, she moves later to a crate they've got which stays open (we close ours for the night) and sleeps there.

Overall we can't imagine our lives without her and even though it's nice to have a family night and go to the movies for a few hours (that's when we leave her with her carer for the night), it's so quiet and sad without her when we come back home.

Few pictures for your attention.

Have a great Sunday everyone 😊😊😊
Attached Thumbnails
Arya is 8 months & off lead during walks-img-20191027-wa0001_1572768046964.jpg   Arya is 8 months & off lead during walks-img_20190912_134556_1572769333521.jpg   Arya is 8 months & off lead during walks-img_20190911_220226_1572769370535.jpg  
Mysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's great you have a place to go where it is safe to have her off lead We are in a very busy neighborhood where all the drivers just love speeding!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Neb was good off-leash as a puppy. Then he got independent.

Not to scare you, but be prepared.

Beagles are prey-driven and follow their noses. Neb is now 11.5 and can go off-leash in certain places, Xerxes as a PB highly-crazed dog at 3.5-4 - I'm not sure he ever will be. Perhaps I just forget what Neb was like at his age though.
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Neb was good off-leash as a puppy. Then he got independent.

Not to scare you, but be prepared.

Beagles are prey-driven and follow their noses. Neb is now 11.5 and can go off-leash in certain places, Xerxes as a PB highly-crazed dog at 3.5-4 - I'm not sure he ever will be. Perhaps I just forget what Neb was like at his age though.
Yes we know this but we're constantly working on her and even though it's scary still, I know she needs to use yer nose as it's in her nature. She goes off exploring local woods & yes, she's a hunter but there is NO WAY we'd ever keep up with her pace on leash. I just see a complete transformation ever since we've started it.
Yes, I get your point but I think the "no off lead" applies to any hunting dogs and we meet plenty here off lead. I suppose any dog is different and maybe we're lucky so far but we need to hope this is going to stay this way. I just can't understand how a Beagle (or any hunter) can get enough excercise being on a lead constantly. Unless you're a Flash haha!
Good to hear from you, hope you're well and so are your doggos 👍🏻
Old 11-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
It's great you have a place to go where it is safe to have her off lead [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] We are in a very busy neighborhood where all the drivers just love speeding!
techie
Well, it's just a lake surrounded by woods and little paths next to canals, surrounded by houses. We're trying this and I'm still a bit scared especially when she catches a scent in a wood and calling her takes a bit more times than usual once. Especially this time of year, all the different smells and leaves and ocassional poop she discovers haha!
I feel for you - I mean I'm so amazed at her transformation and behaviour at home ever since we've started it, but of course, busy neighbourhood and loads of crazy cars is a big no! We are seeing other dogs walking by their owners off lead, right by a street with sometimes crazy cars passing by and I'm thinking I would never be able to do this with Arya!
But maybe you can find a place somewhere not too far from you where you can drive to and start teaching him? A lot of owners do that here too, park their cars and off they are with their dogs.
All the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement