lets play fetch! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2019, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default lets play fetch!

my dogs love to fetch a ball, but only in the house. i didn't really teach them to do it, they just kinda learned it on their own.
or maybe...
they taught it to me.
sneakers would bring the ball and drop it on my foot.. i would shower love on her for that, and then toss the ball. she would frantically run after it, and bring it back. the cycle would repeat as long as i was willing to play. kuro wasn't interested at all. but she will not do this out in the yard. if i throw the ball outside, she'll run after it till it stops, look back at me, and the go chew on a stick. how can i get her to play fetch outside? i want to get her to chase a frisbee

also, now the fetch game is different.
now sneakers brings me the ball. i love up on her, and throw it. she turns and watches kuro bring the ball halfway back, then she takes it from her and brings it to me. this is how we play fetch now.
but only in the house, not outside
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just have to laugh at them playing cooperative fetch.

I have not taught fetch - but I suspect having something of high value (such as praise in Sneakers case) to get when they bring the ball/frisbee back will help.
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
I just have to laugh at them playing cooperative fetch.
ikr? there isn't another way i could label it either. but yes, it IS funny they just started doing it on their own, i didn't really teach it to them, i just kinda rewarded behavior i liked. but the cooperation thing, was all them. it began with kuro taking the ball and just lay down and chew on it. then as sneakers began trying to take the ball back from her, kuro started bringing me the ball, and sneakers would just kinda watch. then after a while, it became what it is now. i throw it, they both run after it. kuro picks it up and about half way she stops and waits for sneakers to take it from her. they tug on it a little, but kuro soon lets go, and follows sneakers and the ball back to me. then it goes again. i have not found their limit yet. they will play it as long as i am willing to throw it. we've played it for about an hour one night, and i quit on them so i could go do dishes.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check out YouTube Zak George on fetch. It works well, but takes time. Out 7 month Luna does it well....
Clowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowman View Post
Check out YouTube Zak George on fetch. It works well, but takes time. Out 7 month Luna does it well....
he's cool, i've been watching him train inertia, it a good series
Advertisement