Potty time at night - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potty time at night

Hello everyone.
I would love to hear from you on the topic of night potty breaks and of course whether I should be waking her up.

Arya falls asleep around 8.30-9 (sometimes earlier) so usually around 10-10.30 she'd wake up so I take her for her potty break then.
I keep the lights really low and ensure she goes back to her pillow to go back to sleep.
(this is a huge improvement for her to go back to sleep as during the first few nights she'd get really hyper and want to play at 10.30!).

Around 1am, 4am and sometimes 5.30 too I tend to just see whether she's awake and sometimes she is, sometimes she isn't - I still pick her up and take her outside. She does go. But is this the right thing to do??
If she doesn't try to wake me or sleeps calmly, isn't it better to just let her rest? Or is she unable to feel the urge through her sleep and she will just wee on her pillow?

Thank you in advance for your advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Potty time at night-15577466163245889411988963903645_1557746666561.jpg  
Mysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Puppies usually need to go out a couple of times during the night. The first several weeks are hard for owners but as the puppies get older they can hold pee longer. I suggest crate training and not on a bed. Also take your dog out on a leash and say something like..."lets go peepee" and lead the dog where you want it to go. Then reward with a little treat or praise. I also used a clicker to re -enforce the good behavior. I say "peepee" for both pee and poop, even now at 7yrs.
I would love it if you use an actual picture of your dog as an avatar instead of a cartoon.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for this Cassie. I'm not sure how to go about the whole crate thing? Arya sleeps in our bedroom and has got her own space and I thought this was the right thing to do. She does not sleep on our bed.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysha View Post
Thanks for this Cassie. I'm not sure how to go about the whole crate thing? Arya sleeps in our bedroom and has got her own space and I thought this was the right thing to do. She does not sleep on our bed.
Thats going to be hard to break the longer you allow that arrangement. Im thinking about the potty accidents and mischief as she gets a little older. Generally a restricted area in a kitchen works well using baby gates. But you have to decide if your arrangement is working
Soon your dog will start biting/nipping and too much freedom makes it worse. I dont recommend tug of war games for now since it makes the biting worse.
Wow i just noticed the picture with your young child...please watch that your child doesnt get bitten and no rough housing with the dog for the next few months....safety first. That cute puppy will nip as most puppies do.

Last edited by Cassie; 05-13-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Thats going to be hard to break the longer you allow that arrangement. Im thinking about the potty accidents and mischief as she gets a little older. Generally a restricted area in a kitchen works well using baby gates. But you have to decide if your arrangement is working
Soon your dog will start biting/nipping and too much freedom makes it worse. I dont recommend tug of war games for now since it makes the biting worse.
Wow i just noticed the picture with your young child...please watch that your child doesnt get bitten and no rough housing with the dog for the next few months....safety first. That cute puppy will nip as most puppies do.
Sorry - not sure what you mean by "rough housing"? We have been watching the Zak George a lot (apart from reading blogs etc) and everyone is recommending a bit of tug of war games, to get puppies to chew on something else rather than you!
Arya also enjoys it during her walks - playing with her like that gets her attention and she is more likely to walk/play with us, rather than just lying down on the ground chewing at a tree roots. That just turns her excercise time/walk time to a "stand and watch" party for about 15 minutes

I appreciate your concern about my child too - I am a very careful mother - thank you.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I found a link to describe "rough housing"... remind us how old is your puppy now?
http://blog.smartanimaltraining.com/...-consequences/
Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cassie and I differ on tugging.

When Neb was a puppy I'd wanted to do French Ring with him (all genetics to the contrary). So I wanted to build his drive and encourage APPROPRIATE biting on tugs. When he got bite-y with us we'd redirect onto a tug and very quickly he learned that it was appropriate to play rough with the tug and not with us.
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, its a difference of opinion but since there's a small child in the house that has to be considered in the equation.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

True, we are childless. I never think of stuff like that!
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
True, we are childless. I never think of stuff like that!
Truth be told even I was brought to tears as Cassie sunk her teeth into me...lol I thought geez what did I get into...
Now she never bites, if i have food in my hand she'll nibble all around my fingers ...
Here's the biter...heehee
Attached Thumbnails
Potty time at night-20160527_144756-1_1557889868157.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement