Arya's first 2 weeks with us - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

So cute...
That looks like a good size.
Dont think of a crate as jail or punishment. Even now at my dog's age of 7.4 yrs I give her a small treat every time "I" put her in the crate so she knows its a good thing. You want your dog to be fine with the crate...keep working on that...praise and treat.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Glad to see that you are making it. We are just over 2 weeks into owning our 10 week old Luna too. I also can not recommend Zak George enough either. Our Luna is doing great because we watched all of his videos (and there is a lot) we were totally prepared because of going through his stuff.

Our crate for Luna is a 31 inch iCrate from Midwest home for pets. We have 3/4 of it blocked off for now. She has enough room to turn and sleep. We are home most all day so we donít crate her much at all.

Here is a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Arya's first 2 weeks with us-33edb1c9-faa9-4a2b-8e49-182484d7b090.jpg   Arya's first 2 weeks with us-19ee4a5f-c81e-427c-ae9b-32cf51c5d41d.jpg  
Clowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowman View Post
Glad to see that you are making it. We are just over 2 weeks into owning our 10 week old Luna too. I also can not recommend Zak George enough either. Our Luna is doing great because we watched all of his videos (and there is a lot) we were totally prepared because of going through his stuff.

Our crate for Luna is a 31 inch iCrate from Midwest home for pets. We have 3/4 of it blocked off for now. She has enough room to turn and sleep. We are home most all day so we don’t crate her much at all.

Here is a few pics.
Omg, cuuute pictures.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowman View Post

Our crate for Luna is a 31 inch iCrate from Midwest home for pets. We have 3/4 of it blocked off for now. She has enough room to turn and sleep. We are home most all day so we don’t crate her much at all.

Here is a few pics.
Oooo very cuuuute!!! I'm glad Luna is doing so great.
And the crate you've got looks really good. I have been eyeing the Midwest products but sime of them are not sold/deliveres here in the Netherlands (when I do the search, mainly Amazon site comes up)
Mysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
So cute...
That looks like a good size.
Dont think of a crate as jail or punishment. Even now at my dog's age of 7.4 yrs I give her a small treat every time "I" put her in the crate so she knows its a good thing. You want your dog to be fine with the crate...keep working on that...praise and treat.
So CRATE TRAINING!!!

Thank you Cassie.
Well, I have done my first day & night in the crate yesterday and we're continuing today.

It's a drag to keep taking it up and down the stairs but hey - you've gotta do what you've gotta do, right?

So, during the day I keep the doors open and she goes in and out, loads of treats, especially when I see her awake but she is still laying in there.
Came back from her last walk around 8pm, brought everything upstairs as I saw her dozing off. I out her in the room and all great - she looked up but went back to falling asleep.
.... And then my son came into my room because of achy tum, poor thing, so she woke up and started sniffing around the cage. Took her outside and she did go potty and I took her back upstairs. Put some treats in and she walked in there on her own and layed down. AND OFF SHE WENT: scratching, howling (although not as loud as I was expecting), but I was petrified the neighbours will complain or start banging on the walls!! 😱😱

I kept saying "shhhh" and put my hand closer to the crate but it did not work for about an hour or so (with breaks) and she eventually fell asleep.....

Phewwwwwww....

Even after night time potty break she still got into it and went back to sleep (a 1 or 2 treats might have helped, which I know is not the best for night time)

BUT I am so proud of Arya! This is quite a break through for us so far 😁😁👏👏
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

That is good news. Check out this short video. It may assist in addition to Zak George crate training techniques..

https://youtu.be/PZtRdWpV5oc
Clowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

So glad to hear the crate is working out. You will appreciate it going forward especially in emergencies when you have to leave the house.
Now I hate to tell you... but beagles are barkers and she will get louder. I'm sure its difficult for apartment people. Even though we have a house and yard i dont like cassie running around outside barking. Thankfully all my neighbors have dogs...but still i dont care for her loud barking.
My obedience dog trainers had beagles so I asked for help and advice when the barking got bad. When my dog turned 6months i was advised to get a dog bark collar....i know what your thinking... i was very nervous about it too. It made a HUGE difference. After 1 reminder my dog never barks while wearing it...never...and I dont need to turn it on. You might have to consider that if it gets bad given your apartment situation. Its not one you control, the dog gets a vibration reminder when she barks and stops.
I bought what was recommended by the trainer. I bought it on Amazon.
Dogtra...small size. Its about $80 U.S
Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowman View Post
that is good news. Check out this short video. It may assist in addition to zak george crate training techniques..

https://youtu.be/pztrdwpv5oc
thank you!!!!!! :d:d
Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
So glad to hear the crate is working out. You will appreciate it going forward especially in emergencies when you have to leave the house.
Now I hate to tell you... but beagles are barkers and she will get louder. I'm sure its difficult for apartment people. Even though we have a house and yard i dont like cassie running around outside barking. Thankfully all my neighbors have dogs...but still i dont care for her loud barking.
My obedience dog trainers had beagles so I asked for help and advice when the barking got bad. When my dog turned 6months i was advised to get a dog bark collar....i know what your thinking... i was very nervous about it too. It made a HUGE difference. After 1 reminder my dog never barks while wearing it...never...and I dont need to turn it on. You might have to consider that if it gets bad given your apartment situation. Its not one you control, the dog gets a vibration reminder when she barks and stops.
I bought what was recommended by the trainer. I bought it on Amazon.
Dogtra...small size. Its about $80 U.S
OK. I will have a chat with our trainers we're meeting on Saturday. We are in the house with a garden too, but it's not "free standing". So other houses are attached to it - it's like a complex. Not sure these are the terms you're using in the States? But I hope it makes sense.
I am nervous as hell as I have got a doctor's appointment with my son on Monday and I am dreading it!
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Like a townhome. Or at least that's what we call them in Canada.

Xerxes is pretty quiet, as is Neb, except when:

-you leave the house with one dog and not another (but, if the other dog is already gone and you leave, it's fine...and we almost never have this situation occur)
-when the entryway phone rings (we keep it on silent, but they still know)
-when someone knocks on the door
-when he sees a dog outside he doesn't like (more of a balcony issue)
-when I vacuum they follow me around baying/barking and attacking the vacuum. If I lock them in the bedroom they bay/howl

We have great neighbours though, and there's a really loud dog down the hall
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement