A fun backpacking trip in spite of ourselves - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A fun backpacking trip in spite of ourselves

I don't think I've said how our easy trip on the La Cloche Silhouette Trail went!

It's probably just as well we didn't do the full loop (new plan is October - I've done it all several times, Toby has not) as people are getting turned around by high water levels. We were fine from THAT perspective.

We left Friday morning. Xerxes puked in the car on the way up - rough road, or longer time in car then ever before? (though we did stop mid-way through)

Quick hike out to our site. 3.6k I think. Neb was...not fast. He was slow all trip. We're wondering if he's got a touch of arthritis and are going to start him on a trial of metacam.

Get to the site, which is on a ridge and has a tent pad built into the side of the ridge - the ONLY place you can set up a tent there - but, our tent is not free-standing and we couldn't really set it up ideally - thankfully, it was clear.

Had a nice fire - I started with a fire steel (sparks, not a lighter or matches). WHOO HOO! We spent 3 nights in the backcountry and I started all our fires that way.

Went to bed. Around 11, 11:30, Toby said 'I think Neb has to go to the bathroom, he's standing up'. So he took him out.

Came back in, he'd just peed, nothing urgent. Neb continued to stand/be restless. Because of how we'd been forced to set up the tent, Toby decided that NEB was scared of the flapping - Neb is scared of almost nothing! - and got worried that Neb would go through the tent.

Finally around 1am Neb puked. In the tent. I cleaned it up, carried the puke towards the thunderbox (where one does their business). Went to sleep.

Neb puked again at 3am. Thankfully I'd brought a full roll of toilet paper with us. Sigh.

FINALLY we got some sleep. We both slept horribly though.

Toby, who is sensitive to lack of sleep, woke up with a migraine. Like a jerk, I'd taken the pain meds out of the first aid kit some time before because I thought they'd expired, forgotten I'd done so, and packed the first aid kit for this trip without checking, so we did not have pain meds.

Which meant that even with coffee Toby's migraine was bad enough that night HE puked.

At least it was a short day moving sites! Xerxes managed to rush me through a creek crossing though so I got a soaker in one foot, but it was sunny and we got it dried out in camp.

We had two nights at this campsite, which was GORGEOUS. There was still ice on the lake when we got there but by mid-morning the next day it was gone.

Lots of places to lie in the sun. So I got burned.

Now, normally, I'd just peel. But, ALL of my bipolar meds cause sun sensitivity, which I did not realize. It was cold enough I stayed in the sun even once I realized I was burning, so it was a fairly bad burn. Saturday and Sunday. We relaxed, read our books, explored, had fires...

Monday I woke up with puffy eyes. We figured from the burn. We hiked out 5.1k to the campground where we stayed overnight.

TUESDAY morning I woke up with swollen eyes and face. It was scary bad. I'd been cold the night before around the fire, though it was also cold, so I hadn't thought anything of it.

I got some reactine, we went home (our car may be leaking coolant, and we had trouble finding appropriate VW coolant up north - we had to drive 312k before we could get any) and I got chilled. Even covered in a blanket.

I had a fever. It lasted into Wednesday morning, so I went to the doctor. Bad allergic/immune reaction to the sunburn. Even today my lips are tingling.

So yes. We did have fun though, in spite of ourselves.

And Xerxes did NOT get cold/limp tail, though he was chilled, we did very good management of his temperature - lots of cuddling.

Pics, I'll do a video at some point:

Keeping Xerxes warm (multiple pics): https://www.instagram.com/p/BxI8YUXBYQZ/

Nebbers enjoying the trip (multiple pics): https://www.instagram.com/p/BxI-FkHhYVO/

Scenic shots (multiple pics): https://www.instagram.com/p/BxI_SSLBkFy/

Our tent, properly set up at the second site: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxKO1fpBYv5/

Toby crossing back the creek I got the soaker on with his solution - carrying Xerxes (we have hip belts for the dogs that he used as a sling) (multiple pics): https://www.instagram.com/p/BxKPXcshiFV/

Xerxes in the campground Monday afternoon: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxI7m6CB3T-/
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh my goodness, a lot of puking going on....but the scenery is beautiful. Now my idea of camping is a hotel with a bed and sheets with a bathroom and shower. You guys are real adventurers...way beyond my skill level...lol
Send X down here and he can get in the pillowcase and chill with cassie...she's in there right now...heehee
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Aww Cassie! Xerxes really did do better than I thought he would, though he also required near constant cuddling once the sun got to a certain point.

We weren't even in the pretty part of the trail!

I managed to book our October trip this morning, so now we need to train!

Old 05-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can check the medical pack for the right stuff for October too!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Idea...make a list of items you need for your medical kit. Then before you leave check to make sure everything is there.
Thats what Ive done for my emergency "bug out" binder...sure came in handy when we had to quickly evacuate during the recent fire.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

We have trips in the summer too!

That's a great idea Cassie. We do do that, but I thought the meds were in it and just packed it and oops. From now on I will inspect it and cross-check against our list. We have a main kit and then other side stuff we can add/have extras of. I did realize we forgot the dog thermometer too!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is your medical pack something you put together on your own by thinking what you might need? OR have you researched what recommended emergency survival supplies to carry?
Old 05-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

We have a pre-packaged medical pack with extras that we've found important through research - also, Toby has advanced wilderness first aid certification, so he's done various intensive scenarios and recommended extra items that he thinks we should carry.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Whew....now I dont have to worry...as much... about you guys..lol.
I couldn't help inquiring due to my medical background.
Stay safe...
Old 05-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

We're generally fine as long as I use sunscreen and don't do boneheaded stuff like take out expired meds and fail to replace them with new ones right away! We also carry a two-way satellite emergency communicator that we can call for extraction on if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement