How would you all deal with separation Anxiety? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How would you all deal with separation Anxiety?

Hey guys,

Banksy is now 7 months old and he's been pretty good when we leave him in his crate when we go out. According to our puppy cam he'd howl for about 5 mins and relax for the rest of the time.

We recently took him to get a bath and cut his nails and had to leave him by the groomer for about 1.5 hours. This is the first time we every took him to a groomer.

I no idea what happened but when we got him back he became so clingy. He would sleep in his crate at night but if we have to go out he would howl for an hour or more.

This morning my wife left for work and he went crazy running from end to end of the house howling. I took him out for a walk and he caught a wif of her scent and started howling and yelping in the road lol. He would bolt up and down the street looking for her.

I thought is was hilarious as I know why he's doing that but I don't think my neighbors appreciated this 7am in the morning.

I brought him back inside and the same thing is going. Now he's a bit tired and is no top of me and won't move.

Have you guys experienced this and how do you get over it.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you all deal with separation Anxiety?-img_20190313_103346_1552999156922.jpg   How would you all deal with separation Anxiety?-img_20190314_075129_1552999189193.jpg   How would you all deal with separation Anxiety?-img_20190204_085314_1552999249370.jpg  
mcdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know! We have only adopted senior dogs. I hope someone else answers your question. It would be really good to know!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Beagles are pack dogs and want to be with owners or other dogs. Cassie is 7yrs old and watches me like a hawk. Somehow she knows by the clothes im wearing that I'm going out. She follows me around, goes to the door and watches every move I make. I have to quietly pick up my car keys or she knows what's up. In fact im shortly going out and she's already started being clingy.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have had several hounds with SA. Beagles are pack dogs and they like schedules. I say the same exact thing to my beagles when I leave for work and give them a cookie. You can leave a TV or radio on and give him a Kong toy filled with something yummy to distract him when you leave. I don't use crates, I use gates to limit their house access but it lets them roam and play. They have the kitchen, hallway, bedroom and two bathrooms and can look out the doors to our side yard. When you leave and arrive always downplay your reaction, just a quick good-bye and hello, no hugging and petting until he settles down.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great advice from Mollys Mom.

I would be concerned something negative happened to him at the groomer's. It could just be a 'general' negative experience, in that he didn't like it. Or - it could have been the length of time. But, I'd worry that something unpleasant happened to him. I am not very trusting of people with my dogs. I like to be there. I probably would not leave him with the groomer again.

The only thing I would add, pertaining to the SA, is to do very short, comings and goings. As Cheryl said, "Always use the same words." I say, "Be good! I'll be back." Leave. Walk up the street. Come right back. Make your 'gone' time a little longer, each time. Condition him to expect your return.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, that was weird. When I submitted my post, I got a warning that I needed to wait 30 seconds between posts. Said to wait 15 seconds and try again. So I did. And now it is posted twice. So odd. I dunno.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I made the 2nd post go away with my magic powers!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cassie here...that is one Good look'n beagle!
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollys Mom View Post
I made the 2nd post go away with my magic powers!
Thank you Cheryl! LOL!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

In fact, keeping a puppy in the crate can heavy his anxiety, my vet said. Once you close him into the crate, he could associate that someone is going to leave home and become reluctant to get into the crate. Actually, a crate should be a safe place to relax and sleep, instead of a prison. You should reduce his separation anxiety by distracting his attention. Delicious Kong toys and radio can calm him down and temporarily forget someone's absence. Here is a training guide to eliminating your pup' anxiety.

What's more, my suggestion is to crate train your dog again after he gets rid of separation anxiety. You'll learn lots of tips in this long but detailed training guide.

Hope that helps!!
Sammy down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement