Beagle living outdoor??? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beagle living outdoor???

Hi, i'm picking up my puppy this Saturday and the plan was for Milka to live on our balcony. It's 40 sq meters and has been puppy proofed. The spot we chose for her is sheltered, so never in direct sun and the rain will not reach her either. We bought a large play pen for her and a crate.
She will be indoors with us, when we're home, but we want her to be outside when we're at work. We live in Sydney and it's end of summer here, so it's warm outside. What are your thoughts? Can an eight weeks old puppy be outdoors? Does anyone have an outdoor beagle? Any advice is appreciated.
magisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm no expert, but 8 weeks is a baby. I wouldn't leave a puppy outside all day alone. Is there anyone who can be with the puppy during the day?
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I keep my puppy in the house when I am not home with the radio on quietly. But this depends if you have an area suitable. Liia is only 9 weeks old and I was hoping this would discourage her to bark and howl when she is alone. I adopted her when she was 6 weeks old and the neighbour said he hasn't heard her cry. She never gets left more than 4 hours, although I understand its difficult if you work fulltime. Its still early days, but I am hoping she can stay outside when she is older and more familiar with her surroundings.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with Jenhardy. A young puppy needs attention and nourishment. If your puppy is about 8 weeks as mine was she was only 5 lbs at that age. how are you training for pee and pooping? Beagles are high energy dogs, keeping your dog confined in a small space without attention for hours will be a challenge. They grow fast and want to run around.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree about the age, 8 weeks is a pretty young pup. I brought my first beag home when he was 9 weeks and he required attention and was gated in a small area of the house while I was at work. If he has to be outside be sure that he is very secure and has things to keep him busy and comfortable.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've waited to post because this is a topic I feel quite strongly about. I apologize up front if I offend anyone with my remarks. Please reconsider getting the puppy if your going to have it stay outside while you are away. There is no such thing as a puppy proof enclosure. What is the reasoning behind keeping it outside? Is it to prevent accidents or damage to your living area? Proper crate training and your pup will be safe inside while still possibly preventing damage. Or hire someone to come and walk your pup while you are away.
I'm going to quit before I go too far. Go to any shelter and you will see plenty of dogs that people thought were safely contained.

Mae and Pixie escaped their chain link enclosure and I was given them because they were "escape artists".
Tess was wandering her yard when I put her back in the enclosure just to watch her do it again. She was given to me also.
Sasha was dragging a chain down the road.
This is only part of my pack.
Please bring the beagle inside.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wanted a beagle for about 5 years but waited until I quit working-all I can say is that she is a full time job. I only gave myself 3 weeks between quiting work and getting my beagle-I feel like I haven't stopped working and she is a year at this time.

My dog has our dining room which is about 170 sq feet with free access to a 600 sq foot patio + a yard.... and to her it's never enough
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Completely agree with My6

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all your responses. I'm convinced now that Milka is staying indoors for now.

My6beagles, the reason why we want her outdoors is simple - we thought she'd be happier there than in the house. I thought, she'd have more space to play with her toys, she could watch the outside world and also use a part of it as her potty when we're not there. We have seen dogs having their kingdom on the balconies and they all seemed to be happy.

I guess, it will be her decision what she prefers. We will monitor her closely and see how she goes. Luckily the play pen we bought for her can be used indoors too. I will keep you guys posted.
magisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would say 80% of dogs in Australia do live outside. I previously had 2 border collies and they hated being inside the house, and couldnt wait to be let outside on the verandah or in the back garden to play, so I can totally understand your reasoning of why you think she would of been happier outside.

I leave my back door open now for my puppy when I am home and she takes her toys outside one by one to play with. My vet lives on a farm with two beagles and she said they live outside full time as they love to go swimming in the dam and then roll in the mud, so I guess it depends on the individual and where they are happiest. Good luck, Im sure you will know what's the safest option for her.