Beagle living outdoor??? - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks MyLittleLiia. You got my point - I simply think that Milka will be happier outside. I have just taken my research further and found an interesting advice I will take on. Milka will stay indoors until puppy trained and big enough to look after herself.
For those interested, see below:

Why not just leave the puppy outdoors until he is housetrained?

Who is going to housetrain your pup outside — a shrub? If the dog is left outside unattended, he will become an indiscriminate eliminator. Basically, your puppy will learn to go wherever he wants, whenever he wants, and he will likely do the same whenever you let him indoors. Puppies left outdoors and unsupervised for long periods of time seldom become housetrained. Also, they tend to become indiscriminate barkers, chewers, diggers, and escapists, and they may be more easily stolen. Outdoor puppies also become so excited on the few occasions they are invited indoors that eventually they are no longer allowed inside at all.
magisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think even if you talk to your vet or the local pound they will agree it's ok for dogs (not puppies) to be outside, as long as they have been microchipped, registered with the local council, wear a name and number tag and have an enclosed back yard (which are all required by law in Victoria) An 'escape artist' earns it's name for a reason, not all dogs are like that, and they require special attention. I totally agree with the article and puppies should not be left outside, but in the Australian culture and climate, that it's perfectly normal (when they are older), I would never leave her out if it was too cold, hot or wet. It doesn't mean we love them any less, we just want them to be happy

Last edited by MyLittleLiia; 02-13-2013 at 12:20 AM.
MyLittleLiia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think once she is trained and is more of an adult, then being outside can be okay as long as she is secure and wearing ID tags etc. My dogs are fine with being inside, they really only want to be out if I am with them. In the US there are many reasons to keep them in such as neighbors complaining about barking, dogs being stolen from yards, all sorts of critters coming in the yard like cats, rabbits, chipmunks etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rascal wants us outside anytime she goes out She will come and lay on the door step if we go back inside.
She wants to be with us at all times.
She doesn't mind as much now when we have to go out and leave her for a few hours. She used to go bonkers. Now we come home and she has been sleeping. I think Rascal was very traumatized when she got dumped.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

My puppy is bred with Australian kelpie, who are outdoor working dogs, so I guess her temperament is a little different to the purebred beagle. I am more than happy for her to stay inside if she wants too, I just thought I was keeping her locked up, like a child in a bedroom who wants to go outside and play.
My puppy sleeps when I am out techie, get the cute sleepy walk, yawns and stretches when I open the door. Hopefully she doesn't out grow it

Last edited by MyLittleLiia; 02-13-2013 at 02:55 PM.
MyLittleLiia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

I will do the same. Leave the door to the balcony open and let her choose, where she wants to be. I will keep an eye on her to make sure, she can't escape and get hurt. We have puppy proofed it, but she might find a way...
magisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement