Saying Hello - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Saying Hello

Hi everyone, glad to be here! Been thinking about joining this place for a while. I'm mom to Abby, who, as you can guess from my screen name, is what I call a coongle. She's a beagle/coonhound (treeing walker, we're fairly sure) mix who's a little over a year old.

I've had dogs my whole life (first one ever was a beagle/german shepherd mix). My last dog was a purebred beagle named Penny. Sadly I lost her in July 2011 to kidney failure. She was 15. I still miss her so much. Last March I adopted Abby from a rescue group who thought she was beagle/treeing walker coonhound (the shelter they rescued her and her 6 siblings from just said they were "beagle", rescue group never met the parents). I had one of those DNA tests done and it pretty much confirmed it. She's a little bigger than a typical beagle - around 18 inches tall, close to 40lbs. I think she's built more like a coonhound, but there's something in her face that also screams beagle.

She's VERY active and when she's bored she'll let me know by chewing things up. She loves to jump on people, both as a greeting and to let them know she wants to play. She's got a high prey instinct and will want to take off after rabbits, squirrels, even our neighbor's cat. But she loves other dogs and people. The only time she really howls is if she sees someone outside that she doesn't like. Otherwise she just has that deep warning "watchdog" bark. And she does bay at squirrels/rabbits that she wants to hunt down. She's a sweetheart and is very affectionate. She brings me a lot of joy and came into my life while I was going through some rough times.

Here are a few pics of her (and yep, that's her in my avatar). Can you see any beagle in her? A few of my friends/neighbors think she's a tall beagle while others think she's a foxhound lol

Saying Hello-sam_2346.jpg Saying Hello-sam_2170.jpg Saying Hello-sam_2550.jpg Saying Hello-sam_2388.jpg

Last edited by AbbyTheCoongle; 02-01-2013 at 10:56 PM.
AbbyTheCoongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Saying Hello

ATC,
Really cute pictures of Abby. I really like the one of her eyeballing the food. I can believe a beagle coonhound mix or foxhound. The difference I see in my B/T coonhound(besides size) is when he howls its much longer in duration and he really puts a lot into it. Also he is very devoted to his people much more so than my beagles. Then again maybe I have lazy beagles. Lol... I love beagles and coonhounds so if you have a mix of the two you sure are lucky.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, My6beagles. She used to be so nice and polite when we'd eat... she'd just sit in the background waiting to see if we'd give her anything. Now she's more bold and she'll jump up on the edge of the chairs. She's even started stealing food. We have to be extra vigilant, lol. Yeah, the more I look at pics of other beagle/coonhound mixes and foxhounds I can believe it. There are quite a few similarities there. Someone even told me she could have been from two beagles that had some kind of running walker foxhound in their lineage. Not totally sure what to believe but I guess it's possible. She definitely loves to tree squirrels. She tried to jump up our apple tree one day and nearly made it up there!

She also howls when I'm playing a video of another dog howling. She really puts her heart and soul into it. I took a video of her doing it a few weeks ago, here's a link if you're curious:
A mournful coonhound howl - YouTube

Abby seems a lot more devoted to her people than my purebred beagle Penny was. If I have to run upstairs to get something (I have a gate across the stairs during the day so she won't get into trouble), after a while I'll hear her crying. She just loves to be with us. My first time having a dog with coonhound/foxhound. I'd always been curious about them, plus I love beagles so I guess I got a good mix of the two.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to BW ATC! Lots of nice people here
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you so much, techie! I can tell I'm going to enjoy it here - already met some lovely people And I love all the pics that get posted. I'll have to post some more of Abby.

Here is one of her with her head on our kitchen table during dinner. She looks so cute...the eyes just kill us. But we have to keep her away from the food lol. The second one is of her in her favorite spot (besides the window), the couch. You can see her markings a little better in this one and that her tail is so different from the usual beagle tail with brush.

Saying Hello-sam_2620.jpg Saying Hello-sam_2513.jpg
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Once we get Rascals' cherry eye fixed we will post some of her!
Love it! The head on the dinner table. We keep wondering if Rascal will figure out how to jump on a chair and get up on the table!
I hope not.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Saying Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
Once we get Rascals' cherry eye fixed we will post some of her!
Love it! The head on the dinner table. We keep wondering if Rascal will figure out how to jump on a chair and get up on the table!
I hope not.
techie
As soon as Mae learned to hop on a chair she quickly discovered she had access to the table. Don't ask me how I know ??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Aw, poor Rascal... looking forward to seeing pics of her!

LOL, My6beagles... The same thing happened with my old Penny. She was only about 4-5 months or so when she figured out how to hop onto one of the kitchen chairs. Not much later we found her actually lying on top of the table!

She ended up having some aggression issues with food, though. I can remember even at 11 years old, she'd be "guarding" the stove. I'd go near her and she'd nearly snap at me. You'd scold her and then she'd start crying as if she knew she did wrong. But she'd just keep at it another day. Luckily we don't seem to have that problem with Abby. She's very determined, but she doesn't seem very possessive or aggressive when it comes to food.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

I love what you write. We just got a beagle pup. 8 weeks old now, Harley, and she is FULL of energy. Wants to bite my cat all day long, lol. I have had five surgery in the last seven years. I just joined this form. I lost my first love of my of my life. dog that is. Koko was a female black lab that basically grew up with my girls, and lived to be 16yo old. Its been almost a year, so it was time. I forgot how puppies were, lol. Anyways, you make me laugh.
Harleygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Aw thank you, Harleygo! Welcome to the forum. Aww, I bet she's a cutie. We got my last purebred beagle Penny when she was about 3 1/2 months old. She had so much energy back then. I remember the day we got her was the 4th of July. She was racing around the back yard, I remember her going "zip zip zip" around, LOL, it was so hard to get pictures of her because she was moving so fast! Her first toy was a rope toy that she loved so much. She started calming down more when she was about 2. Started being a lazy hound dog, just lying around the house but she had her moments where she still loved to play a lot. She had another beagle friend too. One of our neighbors had a beagle named Divot a little younger than Penny. She'd visit and they'd play as if they were litter mates. It was so cute. I still have pictures of them, I should post them one day.

Actually I found one of them... attached it here. Penny is on the left, Divot is on the right. Penny was a 15-inch beagle, Divot I guess was a 13-inch (her mom thought she was about 11 inches tall, something about being the runt of the litter...). This pic was from 1998 when Penny was about 2 1/2, Divot was around the same age. Sadly Divot passed away in October 2007 and I lost Penny in July 2011. But they were the best of friends, it was so cute!

Saying Hello-pd98.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement