Just adopted an abandoned beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just adopted an abandoned beagle

Hi all,

Over the weekend, we decided to adopt an abandoned beagle and named him Badugi.

We are taking him to a vet to day to find out how old he is...but our friends with dogs say that he probably is quite young. he is about 40 cm log...but we could tell that he still is quite young as he still cannot pee with his one leg up.

Right now, the more we read about beagles the more we are getting a bit worried...

I would need a lot of your help to housebreak our new family member.

Thanks!
Badugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry at all. A beagle has been by far the best breed of dog I've had.
I would highly recommend a crate. One about 30 inches is perfect and do plenty of research on crate training. I had Brynn crate and house trained in just over a week. Consistency is the key and never give in.
Also get started with obedience training ASAP. They will give you all the advice you need regarding walking equipment.
As the dog is young now this the ideal time to start. Well done for rescuing the young dog. He will be a great friend for you and your family for many years

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also don't listen to people that say beagles can't be trained because its crap. The truth is some owners can't be trained. Stick with it and you'll be fine

JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I my experience, training Jesse has been challenging and time consuming but not impossible. We make progress every day. And, I agree, I am the one who needs the training to be consistent, observant and intuitive. I have also trained a lab and a JRT who were both challenging (slow and stubborn, respectively.) I think adopting an adult rescue with no known history makes it harder (in some ways I'm un-training and re-training, but it can be done. It's also fun and rewarding and Jesse and I are developing a great relationship!
Enjoy!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Do not worry about what other people in the public say about your beagle. Yes they can be very stubborn and hard headed but they are generally easy to train. Beagles are soooooooo food motivated that if you make or have a yummy treat they will do anything to have that tasty morsel. I usually only get strays, dumped dogs or from the dog pound and every single one I have easily trained. They are always adult too. All except a couple have taken obedience classes and several have achieved their CGC. It can be done you just need to figure out what motivates your dog whether its food,toy or praise. Most of all please just have fun and take a couple classes. We as humans need more training than our dogs do !!

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement