Hello I'm a newbie - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello I'm a newbie

Hello there I'm Helen and new to this site. I have a 7 month old beagle called duke and is very loveable but also a lot of hard work. I'm trying to get him house trained which is going not too bad I take him out regular and he does his business every time I take him in the garden I have got used to recognising the signs as he does not actually tell me when he wants to go. If I miss the signs I get an accident on the floor but I do not tell him off I just take him straight out. I would really like it if he could tell me though lol. We go to puppy classes and he is learning but I still have trouble walking him on the lead as he pulls and is so strong any advice would be greatfully received. I'm looking forward to meeting other beagle owners and hearing all your stories.

Helen x
Hellsvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi HV,
I have a new beagle, too, but he's an adult rescue. We are struggling with house breaking, too. Just like your dog, mine does not give any signals about needing to go out. I, too, have learned the signs. He almost peed in my car once. Another poster put bells by her door and rang them before every walk. Eventually, her dog began ringing the bell when he wanted a walk!

As for pulling, this should be addressed in your obedience class. I know this is not PC, but I find the best collar is a metal choke chain. My dog responds to gentle pressure from the choke, but not from a regular collar or harness.

Good luck and keep posting!

Jenny
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Classes are a big help! The pulling will get less over time. Sounds like you are doing a good job too!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for replies, I like the sound of using the bells I must give that a try. I'm sure we will get there in the end.

Helen x

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Helen
Keep at it. Sometimes it's very difficult and frustrating to learn each dogs signal or sign when they need to go potty. I've found especially with the old beagles that every hour and the second they are done eating or drinking I take them out. Not fun for me but I usually have no trouble getting them house trained. I do like the bell thing and my co worker got his Puggle to do it. So it does work. Good luck.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome Helen! It sounds like you already have a pretty good grasp on things. Excellent that you going to classes. My beagle mix is also 7 months. Sounds a lot like yours. Only a few accidents here and there, but not completely housebroken. And yes....pulling on the leash. Natty Boh will be starting classes on the 29th. Hoping it helps him too. Natty Boh is a shelter pup. We have had him since October.

Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you, it's good to know I'm on the right track

Good luck with natty boh starting classes

Helen x

Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know what type of car you have, I have an suv and can put a crate for my dog-so no accidents and she doesn't get stressed. Also you can buy those back seat covers made for dogs to cover the seats
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi guys!! I am newbie to this site. Anyway please visit my website
Puppybooth | Say Woof!

Puppybooth is a new and exciting app to accessorize your puppy with over 40+ designed accessories (with more on the way!). Snap a pic, throw on a mustache and glasses, and share with all your friends with built in Facebook and Twitter integration! Rate your favorite pictures in our public gallery, and see if you can make it on our Top 10 Leaderboard!

free:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pupp...8097?ls=1&mt=8

paid:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pupp...8097?ls=1&mt=8
Advertisement