New Beagle (mix) Mom - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Beagle (mix) Mom

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and new to beagle ownership. My little guy Copper wandered into my life this past summer at 10 weeks old after his family couldn't handle him and a brand new baby at the same time I believe he was sent to me as I had a pretty rough year and a half or so, dipping into the single mom life and trying to make ends meet on my own. I started reconnecting with an ex fiance of mine that I hadn't talked to in almost 8 years, a beautiful friendship was in the making when he was suddenly murdered and I lost any further hope at finding a much needed friend in him. This pup was supposed to be a foster that my sister "temporarily" brought home, i fall in love with all of them as she works at a shelter and is constantly bringing home something adorable, but this guy was different... I immediately felt a special connection to him and most of all just looking at him brought me happiness and peace. A little while after my sis brought him home I went through his paperwork one day with all his vaccine info and discovered he was born the very day my ex was killed. Now I knew why my connection felt so strong with him. I don't know how exactly but I know my ex was part of bringing him to me. Sorry for the long long story here but my guy is really special to me as I'm sure all of you feel the same about your pets. We were told he was a puggle but were not so sure about that. He definitely has beagle but totally stumped as to what he's mixed with. He's currently 10 months old, taller than any pug and most beagles, has a deep chest with a narrow abdomen, weighs about 18 lbs, and he has long skinny legs that allow him to leap like a gazelle. We're thinking he maybe has some terrier or possibly even something like italian greyhound in him. Maybe someone on here can help me figure it out. No matter what he's mixed with he's my heart and soul! Loking forward to meeting other beagle parents! Let me know if you have a guess what Copper might be mixed with
Attached Thumbnails
New Beagle (mix) Mom-photo1.jpg   New Beagle (mix) Mom-photo2.jpg   New Beagle (mix) Mom-photo3.jpg   New Beagle (mix) Mom-photo4.jpg   New Beagle (mix) Mom-photo5.jpg  

New Beagle (mix) Mom-photo6.jpg   New Beagle (mix) Mom-photo7.jpg  
CopperBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome! First, I am so sorry for all you have been through. I am glad that Copper has come into your life and is bringing you happiness. He looks pretty high content beagle, but I don't have a good idea what he's mixed with. You can do a DNA test, but I think half the fun is guessing.

You can see from my avatar, that my Natty Boh is a mix too. We are guessing he is beagle, Brittany and Jack Russell. My friend put the three together and calls him a Speagle, JR. (Spaniel, instead of Brittany.) He must be one of those rare designer breeds.

Copper is adorable, as is your little boy. I hope life continues to treat you better.
Hugs!
Jan & Natty Boh
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the warm welcome Your guy is very cute as well. It is fun trying to guess their mixes and making up their stories when you don't have much to go on. Fortunately my little guy was dropped off at the shelter and brought home with my sister the same night so he didn't even have to spend one night there but atleast I kept him from going back. I did order one of thos DNA kits, not sure how accurate they are but I thought we would give it a shot. Will definitely update once I get those results. I'd say yours looks pretty spot on for what you have guessed, definitely seems like you can see a mark of all those breeds in there... Either way adorable pup. Thanks again for welcoming me here.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I heard the DNA tests are not that accurate. Maybe it depends on the type? Either way, I am very tempted to do it - just for fun. I can't wait to hear your results.

It is awesome that you rescued Copper. I rescued Natty Boh too. He came from a high kill shelter in South Carolina. I am in Maryland. Best I can tell, Natty Boh's entire litter was dumped at the shelter at 8 weeks. He was adopted out almost immediately, but returned a week later. He also had/has Demodex. Apparently, that was two strikes against him and at 3 months old, he was on the euth. list. I inquired about him, not knowing if the shelter would adopt to me out of state. They were thrilled I wanted him. I found a transport and had him transported right to my door for $85.00. He is an awesome little guy. A handful, but still awesome. We love him.

Hope you post a lot. It gets pretty slow around here sometimes. LOL!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum
So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and your puppy have found each other... and us too! Your dog sure has a lot of beagle there. We look forward to hearing about you guys over time.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well bless your heart for rescuing a pup about to be put down. Its amazing the little things that will turn some people away from a dog or a pet. I can't fathom it sometimes. The bulldog puppy in the first pic with Copper is deaf and was unwanted for that reason so my sister brough her home and decided to keep her just for fear that she would keep ending up back in the system due to it. I take her to the store with Copper and I a lot and its amazing how many people pity her and tell me or my sis that they can't believe we have taken something like that on knowing the challenge it would be. I will admit she is a little more challenging than any other puppy but then again all puppies are different and she's just challenging in her own way. Still a great dog with a huge heart and a desire to please, just like almost any other dog i have met. I feel like screaming at some of the people "Would you give up a deaf child because it would be more challenging?" No! we learn to adapt just the way dogs have to adapt to us.
Whew... Sorry going on a rant already
As far as the DNA Test goes, I've known people with spot on results and people with not so great results. I think the more breeds your dog is mixed with the harder it is to tell a long with other variables. The people that I know with really good results have dogs that only have 2-3 breeds in them so fingers crossed it will work for us. I know Copper is mostly beagle but there is definitely something else at play, I realize now that i dont have a picture that shows his body standing up... Thats what gives it away, his stature and shape are not that of a beagle but we shall see soon enough. I will go by that saying... "Expect the worse but hope for the best" I guess
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the welcome Cassie. I look forward to meeting new friends!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

That little bulldog is precious. Is the deafness, because he is white? I know white dogs in many breeds can be deaf, but don't know about bull dogs. We had a deaf German Shepherd puppy in our rescue. He was so cute. He didn't get much attention from potential adopters. By the time his foster parents had him a few months, they were in love and adopted him themselves.

It always makes me wonder what people think is going to happen, when their dogs get old. I just lost my 14.5 year old German Shepherd in August. She couldn't hear, couldn't see, had degenerative myelopathy, was incontinent and I'd swear had some dementia. She was a good dog. It was hard to let her go.

Seems so funny to have a puppy who can smell, hear and see. HA!

Sending you a PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default New Beagle (mix) Mom

Copper is absolutely adorable. I did the DNA test with my older dog Daisy Mae. I was convinced she was almost entirely wire haired dachshund and Scottie. Turned out that she also had some beagle in her. After seeing her & Aston Martin together, I could see beagle in her.

Dogs come into our lives like little guardian angels....Aston Martin came into our lives when we were having a tough time medically with Daisy Mae. She loved having a " little" brother for the short time they were together.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you Shelly! I looked at some of the pics of your guy and he is adorable. Congrats on making so much progress with him. I know how challenging it is, Copper wants to be a good dog but his version is much different than mine We have come a long way with him but it will still be a work in progress for some time. I've often thought of trying something like agility with him, give him a job to do that expends some energy and I assume it creates a lot of room for bonding as well given the work that goes into it for both human and dog. You loook like you're well on the way to having a great and well mannered companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement