My Long Island Beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Long Island Beagle

Gunner is his name, around 4.5 months old. He sure is cute with some teething issues, nips our heels and jumps up to bite our hands/ arms. Had a midnight take down outside, we landed in poo I unfortunately didn't clean up earlier. Have used badminton racket as barrier, walk forward into him etc.He is better than he was @ 3.5 months old but have more work to do. Puppy rage is the word for it. Walking has been better with a choker collar used lightly instead of a harness. I,ve been reading about using a clicker and will be getting one. He has learned to sit, down, roll over and paw. So cute, loves his treats Wish me luck on my beagle journey. TY
BWwithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Been there...done that!!-lol
You can find a lot of discussion on the topic of biting, nipping, and bitie- inhibition from previous posts in the toolbar under "Search". You can also find a lot on those topics in books and internet-get started now so you can break that behavior. I recommend the clicker which is a very cheap little thing you can purchase at a pet store like petsmart or petco. The clicker really worked on Cassie and it didn't take very long for her to get it. I used it to train her to go into the crate and to pee and poop outside, also used it to teach all the the other obedience tricks like fetch..bring back..and "drop it"--you don't want the dog to retrieve a toy, bring it back then bite you when you go to pick it up.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

TY Cassie, I do plan on getting a clicker. Unfortunately this pup , If I turn my back he will jump me anyway. I need to look further into this bite inhibition topic. He does great with obediance tricks using food rewards.
BWwithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement