Hello~ - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello~

My girlfriend and i are about to get 2 male beagle puppies that are about 8 weeks old. I'm looking everywhere to get ourselves prepared for them, and I found this awesome forum. I would appreciate any advice, or links to any useful information.
kitloong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are they just pets? Do you plan to hunt with them? Are they show quality? All of these factors will effect how you raise them. As pets they need a lot of attention and a lot of exercise and you should plan to take them thru social training classes. If you do not have a yard that they will have access to all of the time you will have to house train them. You also should plan to have them neuterd as soon as the vet will allow it. Hunting dogs need the same attention and even more exercise and training with experience hunting dogs. You should consider having them neutered if you do not have breeding plans. If they are show dogs they need even more attention, a lot of exercise and behavior training. Show dogs can not be neutered.
No matter what you have in mind beagles are wonderful loving dogs but they need a lot of attention and a lot of exercise and consistant training. As to the neutering, it eliminates the marking of territory, reduces domiance behavior and is healthier for the dog in the long run. My 2 are litter mates and are a handful but are sweet.

Last edited by btomlin75; 11-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome! How cute that you are getting 2 little pups together. Just be prepared for double the pupp trouble!! I really recommend a basic manners training class, it will make a HUGE difference for you. Also, be constant and scheduled with the potty training. They need to learn your schedule and what you expect from them. Any time they eat, play, or wake from a nap they should go right out to potty. Enjoy!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

You guys who have raised two at the same time are brave lol! I prefer to have one housebroken before I bring in a puppy, two would take too much energy! How do you know who chewed up what and who tinkled where?? Good luck with your boys, and yes, I'd recommend neutering early!
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've always had two or more pets. Before I got my two liter mates I had two pit bulls different liter. So it wasn't much of a challenge in that category but the beagle breed was new to me. My two beagles are brother and sister. And when one would make a mistake on the carpet I usually catch them in the act. Puppies shouldn't be left alone at all. But if I didn't I would immediately let them out in the back yard and only one would pee. And that told me who had the accident in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Felice29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

id highly suggest just getting one. No good breeder sells 2 puppies together, so Id also re look over this breeder.
2 puppies are not only alot more work, but look up puppy sibling issues.
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm glad I have two pups let alone liter mates. Beagles are hounds which makes them pack dogs. Because Diesel is more needy then his sister I'm glad he has someone to get that comfort from. I think if we would have only got him he would have been a whiner and have anxiety. The two of them together are great. I have no regrets or complaints.
Felice29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

My two are indeed a handful. But I have a large yard, dog door and time in the evening to walk them but they still want you attention and your lap and your food and anything else they can get to. Two puppies require a good deal of time for several years.
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

...and double the cost ($$) of EVERYTHING like vet care, food, equipment such crates, leashes and collars, toys etc.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have four of them, and yes, they seem to do well in a pack. But we got Bella first, and once she was fully trained (about 2 years), we got Annie. Annie was 18 months old when we got the last two. We did get those together but they were already trained (2 1/2 years old and 11 months old).
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement