new beagle rescue chasing our cat - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am definitely learning a lot. This forum has the potential to be very helpful! It is a little challenging to be honest. He barks a lot sometimes and it is so loud. I am feeling a little worried that I may have gotten in over my head. We are meeting with a trainer this weekend and will start obedience classes soon. Hopefully that will help. I think I just need to relax a little. I have always wanted to get a rescue and now I have and I just have to figure out how to make it work. Part of it is that it was really all my idea to add another dog and I feel 100% responsible for every detail of how this works and how happy everyone is. As I read back over what I have written I can't help but think that I need to get a life and some perspective
rogerstrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Everything you do with your new dog should involve some training opportunity and I mean everything. Your dog did not come programmed to your wishes or your house and yard. Here's a little example...Cassie knew I had a treat in my hand and followed me down the hall so excited and jumping up (probably for my great homemade treat...lol). I said...No Jumping! Come on..and she went nicely to the room and laid down. ...ok shake! And she did... and got her reward . Even a little command makes them focus.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Try to relax. I admit, sometimes, I have to tell myself - This is a dog. It's not rocket science. lol! It is natural to feel overwhelmed sometimes, but I am confident that you have this.

My current two dogs and my previous dog were all shelter dogs. I adopted my current two, sight unseen. I met them when they arrived on transport - one from SC, and one from KY. And honestly, I was monitoring the KY shelter for the German Shepherd rescue. There was a litter of GSD mix puppies. I was networking to find them rescue. Next thing I knew, I was completing the adoption application. And then I hit send. Soon, thereafter, I got a call, "Congratulations, you have been approved." So, I definitely get you feeling responsible. It was your idea. Yeah, well, mine was completely impulse and I hadn't even discussed it with anyone. Hey family, we're getting another dog. lol! It's all good.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you!!!!! Just what I needed to hear from both of you, Cassie and Natty Boh. We are about to start another day! Cat has already been chased up to the loft again before I even made it to the kitchen for coffee!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

This is Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Cassie here...Oh he's so handsome, does he like older girl beagles? Just ask'n.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

What a beautiful boy. I love his face.

(Watch out for Cassie, she's a hussy.) She'll deny it, of course. lol!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty boh View Post
what a beautiful boy. I love his face.

(watch out for cassie, she's a hussy.) she'll deny it, of course. Lol!
what?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well, even if he did like the girls, there is not much he could do about it!!

I feel like I should talk about some of his really good points since I have shared his challenges. He sleeps in his crate like a champ every night and actually naps on the bed I got for him during the day. He is very calm with all people and dogs so far. He will let me love on him all I want but he doesn't actually come looking for a lot of attention on his own. Sometimes I wish he was a little more affectionate but it is probably a blessing because Graysie still has her spot in my lap or by my side when she wants it. I think he is going to do really well on the leash. He is getting better about riding in the car. The first time he was terrified and I still have to lift him up into the car because he won't get in voluntarily but once he is in there, he settles pretty quickly.

Sooooo, once Dixie, the cat, can roam the house without incident, we should be in pretty good shape around here again!!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Charlie sounds wonderful. Truly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement