Hello! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello!

Hi everyone,

We've finally been able to bring our little Lemon and White Beagle, Dexter home as he is now 8 weeks old.

Could anyone recommend any puppy training techniques specifically tailored for Beagles or offer any general advice? My partner and I have both had family dogs but never a Beagle.

Excited to get started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vickiparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

He's adorable! As for training, I can be of no help. I have trained many dogs in my life and training our Beagle has completely escaped me. They are a different species when it comes to training. Others on the board have had more success than I. Welcome to BW!
Bbircie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to you and Dexter. What a little doll!

Honestly, I train all my dogs the same. I have had many different breeds. The main thing I see is that some dogs are more biddable than others. (OK, some dogs are not very smart either.) lol! German Shepherds are intelligent and generally easy to train, because they want to please you. Beagles are an intelligent breed, but they want to know WHY they should listen to you. You have to give them a reason. You will have to find what motivates your pup. Natty Boh is very food motivated.

The leash is extremely important for a beagle. Do not allow him off-leash, except in your own fenced yard - EVER. As with any pup, I highly recommend crate training. Limit your pups space (baby gates, exercise pen, crate, closed doors). Do not give him too much freedom too soon. Do not allow him to roam all over the house. It is almost impossible to potty train him, if you do that.

The beagle is all about the nose, so use that to your advantage. Make games out of him finding things. Teach him tricks that make him use his nose. It is important to tire out a pup not only physically, but mentally. And in the case of the beagle, tire him out with his nose.

Some people have had success with clicker training. I have not used it, but 'Cassie' could give you some information about it. Obedience classes are always a good idea.

Last edited by Natty Boh; 04-18-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

What a cute face, welcome! We like you guys already since you posted a cute picture. ..
First of all...
Get him off the carpet unless you don't mind pee and poop on it. Absolutely use a crate. My dog is now 5yrs old and loves her crate. Keep your dog in a restricted area particularly on a tile floor if possible using baby gates.
Take your puppy out hourly for awhile for potty..ON A LEASH otherwise he will just sniff around.
As Natty Boh said you must have a fenced yard..beagles are NOT off leash dogs EVER. They follow their nose and take off.
Everything should involve some command..start with sit. I used a clicker which works great. Get one at the pet store. Lots of youtube videos on how to use one.
Your puppy WILL starting biting in about a month so get ready to curb that behavior. .it's not aggression but a puppy thing.
Go to SEARCH on this forum and put in key words to find loads of past posts on these subjects.. keep us posted on progress.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

What a cute puppy! Follow the other peoples' advice. I don't do puppies and babies. I only do adults
When Dexter has all her shots sign up for puppy classes. It is as much for the owners as their puppies.
Good luck!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for all the useful advice :-) we will of course keep you updated on Dexter's progress.

One issue we are struggling with immediately is crate training. He's fine getting in the crate and even takes himself in when he's tired, but if he wakes up to find he's locked in, he howls like no other. This is obviously a bit of a pain on a night time as Dexter's made a habit of howling at 3am. Does anyone have any tips on how we can quickly get him out of this before it starts becoming routine?
vickiparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Crate training is always one of the big challenges but don't give up on it. You will be so happy one day when he's ok with it. My dog sleeps in her crate every night and she's the one that wants it.
You do have to take a puppy out to pee on a leash every 2 hrs at least since they can't hold it longer at this age. You won't get a lot of sleep for awhile. After the pee, bring your dog in and back into the crate, give a little treat and close the door. I cover my dog's crate .
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Having a young puppy, is like having an infant. As 'Cassie' said, you won't be getting a lot of sleep. Fortunately, as your pup gets older, he will be able to hold it longer. Eventually, he will be able to hold it all night.

As much as possible, ignore the howling. If he needs a potty break - leash on, outside until potties, right back into the crate. Middle of the night, he ONLY comes out for potty time. It is not play time. It is not cuddle time. It is potty time and bed time. As soon as he is back in his crate. You go back to bed. Puppies are smart and they will make a habit out of fussing to get your attention.

I used old towels, as bedding, in the crate. I kept a stack of clean towels, spray cleaner, paper towels, and plastic bags next to the crate. If there was an accident, I was able to do a quick clean up and put the puppy right back in.

If you give into the whining and howling, you will only prolong your agony. lol!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm sorry I didn't hear a word you said. Was too busy looking at that sweet face. Lots of good advice on here. Welcome! O.K, just read the other posts and got control of myself. Agree with the crate and don't give in to the whining. It will be hard but it will pass. You will need a break from the puppy and the puppy from you. Does your puppy sleep in your bedroom? Ours is in her crate in our room. When we go out we put her in there with the radio on and door closed. Also agree with Cassie, don't allow free reign to your house. I still remember my husband and I taking shifts watching the puppy in the kitchen when she was young. We kept a gate up and took her out potty on a leash every hour in the early stages. If there was an accident, it wasn't her fault it was ours for not fully watching her, and if there was one, it was on a floor surface that could be easily cleaned up. I didn't have a hard time potty training ours, I know others on here have. I did what my breeder suggested and took her out every hour and set an alarm for 2 times a night potty breaks. It didn't take long for the dog to hold it longer at night and finally we were sleeping through the night again. You will get there. It will be hard and fun, but you are in the right place here. Have fun! Oh, puppy kindergarten for sure as well.
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement