New Beagle in the house! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Beagle in the house!

Hello!

I am excited to say we have a new rescue beagle/lab baby - Kaz! Kaz was brought to Michigan from Tennessee on the "love train".... an effort from our local Humane Society of Huron Valley to save dogs from kill shelters in the south.

Kaz is 8 weeks this Wednesday. He has Parvo so we are treating him at home until he recovers. We expect a fully recovery, as he is asymptomatic but we're taking precautions by limiting his visits from any other dogs or from people with dogs as it's highly contagious.

I have to say the last time I had a pup I was MUCH younger and I'm having trouble keeping up with his energy level and his biting.

Kaz is really smart! After only 6 days, he has been going pee outside and poo on a pad in the house. I'd like to wean him off the pad but I'm not sure how to do this or even if it's possible at his young age.

The biggest issue we are having is Kaz is not only biting us very hard but biting onto things (coats, his harness, leash) and he won't let go! I look like I've been in a bar fight ha ha! I have been working on using training treats to get him off and if he bites me very hard, I say OW, really loud and get up and leave him for 3-5 minutes. I only just started trying this today so I'll let you know if it works.

I just love him so much so I'm reading all I can on training, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Hugs!
Nancie Janitz

PS I'd love to share a photo if you can tell me how!
Kaz's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to puppyhood. Ditch the pee pad, take the dog out on a leash to where you want the dog to go pee and say...go peepee and praise when the dog goes. You will need to do this every hour for awhile until the dog can hold it longer. Use a crate. Try clicker training it works great. Get a clicker at the pet store for a few dollars and search on the internet how to do it ...or.. go to search on this site and put in search words to get lots of great past posts...I know since I posted a lot on those subjects.
Clicker
Potty training
Biting...this will stop with proper training
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

If the dog is not responding to a human OW sound then try a high pitched dog yelp. Ignoring the dog afterwards is the way to go.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

thank you very much for the help!

Kaz has severe separation anxiety so leaving him in the crate at night has been hard. He cried for over an hour.

The biting thing has been up and down - somedays (like today after he was left alone) he bit me very hard. I have to keep working on this but I did sign him up for Puppy Preschool in April.

I will have to look into the clicker thing Cassie thank you! I'll go get one today.

I've got him peeing outside and pooping sometimes too... he seems to only want to poop in the house and not always on the pad. I have a little bell near the door that he rings to go out but since he's so young I'm not sure if he associates it with peeing.

Nancie
Old 03-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

The pads delay potty training...take it from one that used them.
As for the crate and the crying...try ear plugs. ..lol. if you weaken on that you won't get him to easily accept it. My dog now loves her crate. Sometimes goes in it during the day on her own and indicates to me in the evening that shes ready for sleeping. I give my dog a treat each time she goes in the crate so she associates it as a good thing to do.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry for the late response. I had typed you a message, which inadvertently disappeared. lol!

I am curious about the parvo. How was your pup diagnosed? I have never heard of a puppy being asymptomatic. Adult dogs can be carriers. Is it definite he has Parvo, chance that he has Parvo, or is it a false positive? Not to overly concern you, but puppies I have heard of that were exposed to Parvo and contracted it, soon showed symptoms. I cannot imagine a Parvo puppy being put on transport. Parvo is so deadly that many shelters euthanize every dog, just to try to get it under control. Parvo can live in the environment for a very long time. Praying that Kaz stays healthy.

Thank you for adopting a shelter dog. Both of mine are shelter dogs and they are the best dogs ever. They also came to me on transport. Natty Boh is from SC and Shelby is from KY.

I agree with Cassie. Definitely get rid of the puppy pads. They only confuse the pup. Take him outside on leash, every time. Pups generally poop soon after eating. It should not be difficult to transition him. You can even take some of his poop and put it in the spot, outside, where you want him to potty. The scent will help him to understand and stimulate him to go there. Since you say he has Parvo, try to ensure he always goes in the same spot and clean it up immediately.

For the biting - always make sure you have a toy to put in his mouth. Make sure he has something to chew on. I give my dogs/pups antlers. Do not be afraid to be more assertive. A firm, "NO!" I always used, "No teeth!" You can try hand feeding his kibble. Before each piece, tell him, "Gentle". It helps if you say it in a very soft voice. If he gets your fingers, say "OW! Gentle!" When he doesn't get your fingers, "Good Boy! Gentle." He will soon associate no teeth and gentle and you will be able to use the word at any time he is being mouthy.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

natty boh and cassie - thank you !

I am not sure about your parvo question - the shelter said he did in fact test positive for it but since he was not showing symptoms it would be okay to adopt him and take him home and treat him here. So far he's been very active and healthy appetite so I am going to keep praying. His quarantine ends next Wednesday.

I am going to consider getting rid of the pads but Kaz is quick and will poop in the corner in a matter of seconds. At least this way I can run him over to the pads, but I agree that it will delay matters. Is there a certain time after they eat that you take them out? And have some of your dogs been hesitant to poop while on the leash?

Cassie - on the crate thing is there a way to do it so it doesn't go on all night? How long is too long to let them cry? And how long until they sleep in it and feel comfortable? Will he grow out of this anxiety? I was worried today that Kaz had to poop so I went down and took him out and nothing. He was just freaking out from his separation anxiety.

Natty - thank you for the biting tips gonna try that when he wakes up!

Hugs!
Nancie
Old 03-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will have to do additional research on the Parvo thing. I have never heard of a shelter releasing a possible Parvo puppy. That is insane. Praying it is just a false positive, but I will research that as well.

I have never had a puppy refuse to potty on leash. You can always put him on a longer line, if that is an issue. I would say to take him out 15 - 30 minutes after eating. Keep him out until he goes. Walk him around in the designated area. Use the words you want to tell him to go. I say, "Potty, and Hurry up." Funny, but "Hurry up" was in an old puppy training book I read. The author used that. It really works and isn't something you would generally say to a dog for any other reason. Therefore, they quickly learn the meaning. If Kaz has not pottied, after eating, keep him on a leash close to you, so you can immediately take him outside. Honestly, it is better for him to have an accident - you yell, NO!, scoop him up and take him outside, than using the pads. Even if he doesn't have to go any more, put him in the grass and tell him he's a good boy. BTW, I'm not saying to yell No, in anger. I only mean it as a way to interrupt his going potty. You can say Oops, or make a sound, or anything.

You have to be consistent with crate training. Shelby was 8 weeks, when I got her. She cried the first night for about 45 minutes. Each night was less, until she didn't cry any more. You can't give in. If you go to visit, calm, remove them from the crate, you are only prolonging your agony. Crying in the crate in not severe separation anxiety. They all cry during the adjustment period. They actually need to learn to be on their own.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nancie, I apologize if I missed the information, but where do you keep your crate? Some people keep them in the bedroom, but I think that is a mistake. I have one dog crated in the kitchen and one in the dining room. I sleep upstairs. They are quiet as church mice all night long.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

As to your crate question...it is going to take awhile...sorry...lol. during the night take him out for business and back to the crate. Give a little treat and give a little pat..I happen to cover my dog's crate so it's dark. ....ear plugs on how long they should they cry. If you respond you train them to keep whining. This is a hard stage.
This picture is Cassie love'n her crate.
Attached Thumbnails
New Beagle in the house!-jpeg_20170310_121024.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement