New Beagle in the house! - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to you and thank you for rescuing! My beagle Vazzle was brought to NY from a kill shelter down south and Oliver is from a local kill shelter, saw him on their website and had to have him.

I don't use crates, I prefer baby gates. Molly has severe SA and she does great gated with the TV on and toys. I gate them in the kitchen and hallway.

I started my first beagle out with pads too. I weaned him off of them but when he got very old I started putting the pads back down so he didn't have to try and hold it if we were out.

Beagles are super smart and very food driven, so training with yummy treats is great.

As for photos, Go to the forum section where you want to post the picture and select "New Thread". Type what you want about the pic and then scroll down to manage attachments. From there you can upload your pic. Select the pic you want from your PC and then upload. You will get an error message if the pic is too large. It's easy once you do it a few times. But you can't do it in a Quick Reply box you have to be in a "new Thread" or "Go Advanced" reply box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Like Cassie, both of my dogs absolutely love their crates. They were crate trained as puppies. They have free reign of the house, when I go out. They have earned it. They are not destructive and do not have accidents. Actually, they do not 'have' to sleep in their crates, but they prefer to. After last potty break, they go to their crates and wait for me to let them in.

I used to be opposed to crates, as I did not really understand their use. I now recognize them as a 'safe' space for the dog. They can be utilized, when company comes over - say it is a large holiday meal and the dogs need to be out of the way. Or - some guests are afraid of dogs. My dogs are happy to go to their crates, where they are relaxed and well behaved. Crates are also invaluable when a dog is recovering from an illness or injury. If they are already crate trained, there is no stress on having them in the crate during recovery. Pens/gates are fine for home. (I use them too.) But, if the pup needs to spend the night in the veterinary hospital, it is going to be in a small kennel. A crate trained dog is going to have an easier time of it.

Just out of curiosity, for those who say their dogs have severe separation anxiety, what signs are your dogs exhibiting? I had a dog with SA. I wouldn't call it severe. She would whine, or bark. The only thing she ever destroyed was paper. She never hurt herself.

My friend had a GSD with severe separation anxiety. He once jumped out of an upstairs window and fortunately did not sustain serious injuries. He was extremely destructive, lose in the house. She tried the garage and barn as well, with no success. He broke out of crates. She invested in an expensive solid metal crate. He did not succeed in busting out, but did manage to break every one of his teeth in the effort.

There was also a dog that came into the rescue I volunteer with. He had severe SA. He practically destroyed the foster's home. He ripped up carpet, pulled down curtains and blinds, and chewed through doors. He was the worst case we ever had. At any rate, I was just wondering how bad your dogs are with their Separation Anxiety.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Rascal has none When we get back from our music lessons every other Wednesday she just sits up in hubbys' chair and gives a big yawn!
Rascal is impatient for lunch which is about an hour late on those days.
When we first adopted her in 2012 she did get anxious when we got into the car. I think that is because she was dumped in the south part of town.
She is fine now and knows we will be back (if a little late ) now.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Welcome! Thanks for the rescue. Lots of good advice on here.
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement