Seeking advice regarding feeding times - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2016, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seeking advice regarding feeding times

Hello!

I have female beagle puppy of 11.5 months age.
She has been sterilized properly (no issues).

Sadly, even though she gets through the night without asking to be let out to eliminate, she does eliminate relatively soon after I leave for work in the morning.

I get up at 6:30, offer her kibble. Then, leave for work at 7:30 and take her out in the yard just before that. I do it with a leash, and she knows her spots. She pees every time, but poops mainly only if she has actually eaten her breakfast. Sadly, she eliminates at home as early as at ~11:00. I do realize that she may still not be able to hold it until I get home (~16:00), but cannot understand why would she eliminate so early... I have a familiy member who can usually take her out one time during my absence, and that should be enough for sure During the day, with our presence, she has peed maybe 2 times within the last 6 months. Shee does know where she is supposed to go (the door leading outside) because she eliminates right in front of the door.

She does not seem to experience anxiety due to being left alone, she is quiet throughout the day, and often just stays sleeping when we are leaving.

I know there are no set feeding times, but would waking up at, say, 5:00 and feeding her be of any benefit? She is fed 2 times a day, half a cup of kibble per meal, with occasional snacks. She gets her second meal at 17:00

As for everything else, she is just fine, has lots of energy, drinks plenty of water etc.

My only thought now is to wake up an hour earlier (5:00), take her outside to eliminate, go back to sleep, and then take her out once more before leaving for work.
Lote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mine eat at 4 am and go outside 3 times before I leave at 7 am. I come home at 11 am and let them out but I know 2 of them could go longer since they sleep all night without having to go. You may want to have a sample of urine tested to be sure she isn't getting a urinary infection.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine eats at around 6AM and typically takes the previous nights poop around 7AM on our walk. Then eats again anywhere between 4 and 6PM and poops around 4:30PM on our walk at the dog park.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2016, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think you should train your dog when and where to poop. My dog started his training at age 2 months and continued until he is 9 months. After that, even if i leave him in his crate for 12 hrs or even overnight, he will NEVER poop inside.

Just make sure that he will go outside his crate in a fixed time. This will make sure that his body will also adjust to the situation.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheDogLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

I could consider urine sampling but really doubt it is the issue. I mean, she only had night time accidents a few times during the first months with me. Apart from that she never ever has to go during night or makes a mess when we are ar home. When she sleeps I thinj not even WW3 could wake her up and tge way she snores lol...

As for training, she surely knows to poop or pee when I bring her out in the yard to her spots. And I try not to take her out too often when I am at home after work so that she tries to hold it for a bit.

I was wondering if it is a just the way her guts work now i have noticed that during the last month she often does not poop anymore right before we go to sleep. Until recently she had been doing the late night number two more regularly. Currently I am trying to squeeze in longer morning walks but it is just hard with the dark winter time and sleep..

For now, I will focus on longer morning walks outside of our yard. She tends to poop and / or pee several times during such walks in the woods.

Now just to combat my morning wish to sleep...
Old 12-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm probably confused, so bear with me. lol! Is it the pee or poop that's the problem -or both? Is she not pooping 'before' you leave for work? I see you say you offer her kibble and she mainly only poops if she has eaten her breakfast. Are you free feeding - (putting the food down for her to eat when she wants?) If so, stop. Put her food down for 10 minutes. If she doesn't eat it, or doesn't eat all of it, pick it up. No food 'til next feeding time. Does she not like the food? Maybe switch her to something else.

It sounds like you take her out in the morning AFTER you offer her the food. I take my dogs out to potty first thing. We come in and they get fed. I wait a bit and then take them back outside to potty again. Like your dog, they normally don't have to poop until after they eat. I don't think you should have to get up earlier to feed your dog and have her eliminate. Dogs do tend to have to eliminate soon after they eat. I feed them on my schedule.

I'm not sure I would walk her. If she knows the routine and where she should go, I would stick to that, with the leash, as you have been. Is there a phrase you use? I say, "Go potty! Hurry up!" My dogs are 2 and 4 now. I take them out as late as possible in the evening. (I'd much rather be up late than get up early.) HA! They always urinate, but may or may not poop at night.

Can your family member come earlier? Can you find someone else, when your family member can't come? I would not push your girl to hold it longer. Taking her out frequently reinforces the idea of going potty outside. Making her hold it may increase the risk of an accident. Worse, it may increase the risk of a UTI.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Does she drink a lot in the morning? Mine gets up around 7 goes potty and eats/drinks. She drinks a lot in the morning. She will have to go out again at 8:30. Does she have a way to tell you she has to go out? I use a bell on the door that my dog will ring. Yours just might have to go out at certain times and you aren't there to let her out. She really is still young as well and still learning.
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Nope. She rarely drinks a lot in the morning. I am guessing she just gets a bit stressed out from time to time alone and that is when it all happens. During night she can hold 12 hours having drunk quite a lot. Just yestersay she did that. As for giving signs-she just comes up to me sitting in the sofa and becomes very persistent at getting attention from me, also paws me a lot.

When I said about walking, I mentioned it because often movement induces the need to potty.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Autumns mom
I have too few posts to send you pm but I would love if you shared with me on how you got your beagle to use that bell!
Old 12-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lote View Post
Autumns mom
I have too few posts to send you pm but I would love if you shared with me on how you got your beagle to use that bell!
I previously posted how I trained my dog to ring a bell. Go to "search" and put in ...Peepee Bell... you should be able to find that post..
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement