Seeking advice regarding feeding times - Page 7 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2017, 03:18 AM   #61 (permalink)

She eats good quality kibble.
And she eats it just perfectly fine after physical activities, and when she wants to so I refuse to believe I should switch over to a different brand.

I guess I will have to stick to adding something to the kibble each time which is our neverending battle i guess..
Lote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #62 (permalink)

How much kibble does she get each time? Natty Boh weighs about 30 pounds. He gets one cup per day - 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night. If Lote is reluctant to eat in the morning, perhaps give her less food in that feeding - like 1/4 cup in the morning and 3/4 cups in the evening. I would just be reluctant to leave her with an empty stomach.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:59 AM   #63 (permalink)

80 grams of kibble per serving (following the instructions on the kibble package)

she is just picky if she has not been on a long walk or has not played vigorously

most of the time we add stuff like chicken necks/backs/stomachs/heart/liver/green peas/ to the kibble and she will eat it all

then again, we can also ad just a tiny amount of lets say pumkin cream soup (less than 1 full teaspoon) and she will still eat it all just because it is more appealing to her

to make it more interesting - she does pick out the tasty stuff out of the kibble and leave the kibble ONLY when we are not at our appartment but at our country house in the weekends

just a picky princess at times

Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #64 (permalink)

If you only add a spoonful of something, the kibble amount is fine. If you add a lot of topping, cut back on the kibble. Also - just to note.... Most kibble feeding guides suggest higher than necessary amounts. After all, they are in the business of selling food. Looking at the guide, if it gives a range for your dog's weight, go with the lesser amount.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #65 (permalink)

160 grams is almost 6 ounces. That doesn't seem like very much.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #66 (permalink)

Hi!
It has been a long time since I last posted here.

So, about 2 weeks we had a bit of a scare from our beagle girl Lote.
Sunday evening she was gassing like never before, and we did not pay much attention to it, even though the smell was out of this world...

During the night after (from Sunday to Monday) we woke up to her vomiting. She threw up some whitish foam and watery fluid, gagged for a few minutes and went back to sleep.

The next day, Monday, she had quite loose stool so we changed the diet appropriately.

Tuesday, when I got home, I saw that she had had diarrhea during the day, with a small but vey distinct puddle of blood next to it.
Of course, we immediately decided to take here to the vet.

She had no other signs of pain or sickness in general, apart from throwing up a bit in the car (she got used to riding in the car well before her first brithday). Other than that she was still active.

We arrived at the vet, explained the situation, including the fact that she possibly had snatched something edible from our back yard where the bird living nearby constantly drop things like small chicken bones and other stuff from garbage containers...

We did the first x-ray images that Tuesday (from one side and front of belly). The vet also put a finger up her rear end and concluded that the blood had originated from the colon (which was supposedly better than if it had come from the belly or more upstream). But she did said the amount of blood was quite high.

The x-rays showed nothing, so the vet assumed she had some sort of acute inflammation of the colon due to having ate something bad.
They left her for IV procedure (do not remember all the meds she was given) and also gave her contrasting agent so that we could get better x-ray images the next moring.

So, we returned on Wednesday morning, got new images and there was still no reason to think she had swallen somthing that could have damaged her insides.
The treatment was chosen asssuimg the inflammation diagnosis.

We took her home, had to give her 2 types of pills (3 and 7 days) and monitor her. Already the next day there were only minor traces of old blood in her stool and it had become more solid.

Now, everything is back to normal, and she perfectly fine

Gave us a bit of a scare!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #67 (permalink)

So glad Lote has recovered. That is terrifying.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #68 (permalink)

Wow, sorry to hear your dog had those issues. If blood in the stool is bright blood that usually indicates an issue in the lower colon. If it's dark blood it comes from higher in the intestines. Make sure your dog is given plenty of fresh water as it may be dehydrated some.
Can you restrict the dogs outside area so he doesn't get into anything dangerous? Did the vet suggest any mild type feeding for now like boiled chicken and rice?
Keep us posted
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #69 (permalink)

Thanks for the kind words!
As per the colour of the blood though, I would say it was pretty dark, but the vet did immediately conclude it had come from near the bottom end instead of upstream.
That contradicts what you wrote about blood colour but I have no reason to doubt the vet...maybe it is just how I saw the colour..

Last edited by Lote; 04-20-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lote View Post
Thanks for the kind words!
As per the colour of the blood though, I would say it was pretty dark, but the vet did immediately conclude it had come from near the bottom end instead of upstream.
That contradicts what you wrote about blood colour but I have no reason to doubt the vet...maybe it is just how I saw the colour..
Have no reason to doubt me either, I'm a nurse that worked in gastroenterology. ..when blood is dark it means it came from a long distance...higher in the intestines. Just keep an eye on your fur baby, hope things get better soon. That said, I'm not a vet.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement