Holiday - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Holiday

Where does everybody put their beagles when they go on holiday? Me and my boyfriend are going away in April and I've spent ages looking into ideas on what to do with her. The options are kennels which I'm not sure about as I've never put a dog into kennels and I'm not sure if they get all the time and attention my beagle needs. You can have them go to somebody's house and pay them to look after her, this is the option I'm most leaning towards but struggling to find any of these homes near by. You can also have someone come and stay in your home this seems most expensive option and I'm not sure about having a stranger come and live in my home while I'm away. We would leave her normally with my boyfriends parents but because they are getting older and she's still a mad hyper puppy we don't think that's fair on them. When she is older and easier to handle that will be the best option.
What do you all do? Any advice would be great.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nic

Default Holiday

We are putting our 9mth old in a kennel for a week when we go away in June, I asked a lot of people I know about where they put their dogs. I'm going to visit one kennel soon. But before Odie goes for his holiday for a week I'm planning on sending him their for 2nights in April so he gets used to it. I'm dreading it! We can take dogs to our holiday in June, but he would be in his cage all day and most of evening, not nice for him at all. The kennel I will be looking at says they get at least 4 walks in a big field a day plus their kennel has an exterior door that will be open during the day so he can go in and out when he wants. We have quite a lazy beagle, we laugh and say that 4walks in a field will be too much! Lol
Hope you come to a decision that you will feel easy about! I'm dreading it, but as it turns out my dad knows the person who owns the kennel and said he is brilliant with the dogs and loves them all!

Sent from Petguide.com App
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know what we would do if we couldn't take Rascal with us. There is one pet hotel that advertises in the paper. If she would go there I would have to check it out first and she how she did on an overnight stay. I really hope we won't ever have to do this.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Holiday

I have used a kennel for my entire pack. I admit I am just a little weird about a kennel and a vet. I sat down and made a list of all the services available. I called each kennel and asked if I could drop by during normal hours unannounced. The ones that wanted an appointment I crossed off the list. I asked if an emergency should arise who is their stand by vet. The kennel I chose only accepts fifteen dogs. They have the entire building plus an additional acre fenced. So not only were they safe inside the building kennels with outside potty access but if they should get out they are in another fence. I liked the double fence.
Take your time and interview each prospective kennel. Get tours of the buildings. Observe the current dogs being cared for. Look for cleanliness. Above all if at any time you get a bad feeling you should turn and run.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

We're going to Spain for 10 days and have to leave Jesse behind. I'm dreading that aspect of the trip. Our dog walkers are keeping him in their house while we are gone. He's going to be staying in some fancy digs. I hope he's house-trained by then!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

We always plan our vacations around Jayne, it's a little ridiculous, not to mention she's a service dog and can fly on planes for free (though we all prefer to drive, anyway-Jayne loves the car!) Just look around to find a nice kennel for your dog. Ask them about the dog's schedule and see where your dog will be staying, maybe try to find some people that have gone their and ask what their experience was like.
wizardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

That is s concern of mine as well. The Sheriff trainer I used also owns a kennel and has a beagle of their own so that is an option. We also have quite an upscale pet kennel where my dog goes for doggie camp-this one is associated with a vet on the premises-they are rather pricey with various levels of stay accomodations from basic($) all the way to POSH($$$$)!-

I went to a new one that is really close to my house and was told that there aren't any staff at the facility at night-but the owner watches on a web cam--well hell no! what if there was a fire or the dog gets sick?
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I've found what looks like a nice kennel online, it's classed as luxuary so gave them a call and they said I could pop down any time to have a look around and even bring Millie with me so she gets to see it and they are available on my dates. Price isn't too ridiculous but I would rather pay the extra for a bit of luxuary for her. The website looks nice and they even have a hydrotherapy pool the dogs can use also for fun and exercise, thought this was funny. Sounds a bit silly but I like the idea when they say the dogs have there own TV in there room so they can have music or even a home video to listen to your voices while you are away. They have a agility play ground and plenty of land as well. The proof will be in the pudding when I turn up unexpected and take a look around. I know it will break my heart leaving her there, so I need to make sure where she is going is perfect!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Holiday

I too am planning a trip in March and will be leaving my puppy behind in a very nice kennel where he will play all day and have his own little room with a cot at night. They have doggie day care so I have taken him twice to get him used to the place before I leave him there for a week. The first time he went ( for just 3 hours ) he cried when I left and was crying when I returned, the staff said he cried off and on but he did have fun playing with the other dogs. The second time he went ( for 5 hours) he didn't cry when I left nor was he crying when I returned. I am planning on taking him to day care a couple more times before I have to go out of town.

I did check out in person several luxury kennels in my area and the thing I noticed when I went to this place was how clean it was and how it did not have any typical kennel smell when you walked in the door.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Snoopy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

These kennels I was looking at also offer day care, maybe I should do the same and take her down there a couple times before checking her in for the week. I will take a look around the place first I think. I dont think Millie would cry if I left her she would be too happy to see other people and dogs to notice me missing haha, when I used to take her to classes I couldn't get her attention back from the other dog owner and puppies. I on the other hand might feel a bit lost without her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement