Training collars for beagles? - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

MY6
Have you ever used the e collar in the house?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

Since you seem to be under the impression that I shelter my dog and don't allow her to run off leash.

And may I present this little gem.

I'd just rather be safe than sorry. I allow Jayne to run and be free at the safely fenced in park and keep her on a long lead when we're in the woods. (Mind you, I live on a very busy street and the entrance to the public trails are on that street, I don't think that even the motivation of not getting shocked could keep her out of that danger)

Reading this back it seems a little passive aggressive. I was just under the impression that you were implying I don't allow my dog to run, which is not the case, so I apologize if I came off a little aggressive.

Last edited by wizardeyes; 02-18-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
wizardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Training collars for beagles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
MY6
Have you ever used the e collar in the house?
No......oh wait. Does it count if I used it on my husband????

I only use them out on hikes/trail running with the girls.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardeyes View Post
Since you seem to be under the impression that I shelter my dog and don't allow her to run off leash.

And may I present this little gem.

I'd just rather be safe than sorry. I allow Jayne to run and be free at the safely fenced in park and keep her on a long lead when we're in the woods. (Mind you, I live on a very busy street and the entrance to the public trails are on that street, I don't think that even the motivation of not getting shocked could keep her out of that danger)

Reading this back it seems a little passive aggressive. I was just under the impression that you were implying I don't allow my dog to run, which is not the case, so I apologize if I came off a little aggressive.

No..no..no I totally get what your saying and understand what your doing with your girl. Where we live,hike and take the girls is very rural. It is not uncommon for me to not see another person the entire time we are out if I want. Especially at the dog training grounds I never see anyone. They are given well over a hundred acres to run at one. Too bad you don't live closer as I think you might be surprised if you went out with us. Is there risk? Yes but the deer poo they roll in while out is all the thanks I need !!

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to wizardeyes

We can't even take a short walk around the block without Jayne rolling in deer poop. Considering how busy this street is, there's an odd amount of deer that roam in my backyard and neighborhood.
wizardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nothing like washing a collar totally imbedded with deer poop. It's a smell that never goes away.

Peanuts
Snoopy
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

sorry i haven't replied in a while.

I don't think Rocko had that horrible of a background. It's difficult to tell...its just when he barks he acts scared. He always looks at me to see what im going to do. Other than that, no issues. I don't want to shelter my dogs, My other dog (who is a scent hound) has no problem with the collar. He has never ever yelped, acted scared of it. He associates the beep (or the shock i do have to give at times) with a treat.
I just don't want to shelter rocko, i want him to be able to run and be a beagle. I want to do it safely...i fear him gettig hit by a car, chasing a rabbit and not coming back.
I look at him when i have Rocko on a leash and how he just watches my other dog just run and play like a happy dog. Rocko tries so hard to run with him, he will look at me with the saddest eyes. I can tell he wants to as well...and i would love to teach him just like i taught my other dog. I dont overuse the shock collar, i am very responsible with it. Will i have to use it? Probably but atleast my beagle can be a beagle and can do it with me still having some control.
Rocko811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

I only use it on our land. I live out in the middle of nowhere, very rarely a car in sight. I'm from a state of all farm land, tons of feilds and woods to run. So it is beagle heaven out there. We don't have dog parks, fenced in areas for dogs to run/play. everyone tells me to take them there, but i don't even know of any within a 2 hour driving distance. I need to drive an hour just to go to the closest grocery store.
Rocko811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rocko,
I am like you I don't live where there's a dog park. Actually I'm glad I don't.

I think your taking a responsible approach to the use of the e collar. Your beagle will have a blast.

Peanuts
Snoopy
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

I just got an e collar for my beagle. She used to be fairly responsive to recalls when off leash, but now I think because we have moved so many times she is unreliable at recalls even though I am constantly doing recall exercises and always reward her with training treats. It's really frightening and stressful when she goes out of my line of sight and chooses not to come back until it is convenient for her and often putting her back on the leash becomes a game to catch her. I want to use the collar to train her not only for my peace of mind, but also for her own safety. Does anyone who uses/ has used an e collar have any advice? I was planning on starting her training with it on a long lead outdoors.
PaysonyWaysony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement