Help - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help

Hey guys ! I just need a little advice ! I've had Milli for approaching a year now and we're still having potty training issues , I tried crating her during the day which worked for awhile , until she started pooping in there ... Then I came home from work one day and she had a huge lump on her nose , I assume from rubbing it against the crate ... I stopped crating her after that and we didnt have too much trouble after that ... Until today , I got home from work and she had chewed 2 pairs of my pants and pooped from one end of the apartment to the other ... I've taken training classes with her , walk her regularly and give her toys to play with while supervised , can't leave her alone with them or she'll eat them ... She was a stray when we found her , do u think we can ever break the behaviour or are we stuck with it ?? Any suggestions on making her crate safe so we can crate her again ?? I love her to bits but she sure is getting on my last nerve lol PLZ HELP !!
PaulaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is Milli in a wire crate or a vari kennel? She might be less apt to hurt herself in a vari kennel. My pup is almost 7 months old. We are still working on potty training too. Fortunately, he does well in a crate, when we aren't here. Otherwise, he would tear my house apart. He is very destructive, if left to his own devices.

Is there a small area in your apartment, where you could keep him that he could do no damage? A laundry room? Powder room? (Not that he can't damage there, but may be more calm in a room?) Is it possible for you to hire a dog walker to come take him out in the middle of the day? Doggie Daycare?

I know beagles can be tough to train, but don't give up. Keep going to training classes and train at home too. I play mind games with my puppy, starting with his breakfast. Then we do a few minutes of training. We go through all the commands and tricks he knows and sometimes add new ones. We built him a couple pieces of agility equipment and have him work on those, when he goes outside to potty. Then we go for a long morning walk, so he can meet new people and dogs. These meetings seem to tire him mentally. He usually naps after that. Today we spent some time sitting in the car, because Natty Boh is anxious in the car. We listened to the radio, did a few commands, had treats and got back out. Dinner, another few minutes of training and another walk.

I want to start some nose work. Play hide and seek. Challenge Natty Boh physically and mentally. Make him think and figure things out. The more you do these things, the more your dog will focus on you. Natty Boh came from a shelter. He was adopted out and returned. He had a few issues. I see so much improvement.

Keep working Milli. Try to find a way to make her as successful as possible. She will figure this out.

Good luck!
Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

NB,

The Monks of New Skete have some cool ideas about creative play spaces for dogs in their book HOW TO BE YOUR DOG'S BEST FRIEND.

I'd love to try some games with Jesse. Do you have any you can share?

Thanks!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

NB, I'm very interested in the games you play with your pup too. What do you mean by mind games? Thanks
magisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey NB, I found the other post in which you have already answered my question.
magisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement