Help...I'm struggling! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Help...I'm struggling!

Hi everybody, I've a new question for you.

Millie is now getting on for 17 weeks old and we have managed to train her to poo outside and apart from the odd accident she seems to have the hang of it as do I because now I know when she needs to go and i recognize the signs. She no longer poos in her crate and doesn't cry though the night which is such a blessing.

But we are really struggling with her peeing still, she goes outside for a poo and then follows it up with coming inside to pee on the floor. She doesn't let us know when she needs to pee she just goes and does it in secret and we are constantly finding puddles on the tile floor in the hallway. Even if she is in the same room as us she will just swat and before you've time to stop her she's peed on the floor again. I've tried putting her outside after peeing on the floor but I think she just thinks that is a game and her tail starts wagging and shes jumping up at you. With the poo toilet training I got to grips with feeding her on the clock but I can't do that with peeing because she needs to always have fresh water available.

She has no control over her pee when she gets excited and loves to run upstairs first thing in the morning to greet who ever is left in bed with a nice pee on your pillow, but I think that is due to excitement.

Do any of you have any tips of how you managed it? I'm sick of standing in wet patches on the floor.

Help me
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

How's your back from bending over??...lol Cassie didn't stop peeing in the house consistently until about 10 months. Even now when I see her circling around I tell her "go peepee outside" and she goes out to pee. If I haven't seen her pee in awhile I remind her to go..and she does.

I keep her in our dining room with a tile floor-I'm in the process of puppy proofing other rooms so she can have more of the house to roam-just when I think she will be good she gets naughty. You are quite brave to have her free about at this age.

Anyway, it does take time. I did use a clicker and a treat when she peed outside.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

She has access to the sitting room but only while we are in it she's not allowed in here unattended, but she doesn't pee in the sitting room she knows not to do that already...unless she gets excited. Other then that she is left in the hallway where she always has access too as that is where her crate is if she wants to go to bed and also where her food and water are kept and it is tiled so if she does pee its not as hard to clean up. We also have a baby gate to stop her getting upstairs but you forget to shut that you know about it. She sleeps in her crate at night and also is in the crate if we are both out and seems to keep her crate nice a clean these days.

I always seem to talk to people with perfect puppies and dogs who never pee'd in the house and are always well behaved and i'm left thinking "is my dog like the worlds dumbest dog or something" so it's nice to know that she's not the only one haha

I start puppy school on monday so hopefully they will teach the clicker training or something as useful, we always and still do make a big fuss over her when she poos outside and she gets a treat for doing that.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here's how the clicker thing works...while the dog is peeing outside you click, say good girl/boy, and give a little treat. I used the clicker for all kinds of things and they do seem to respond to it. I wouldn't wait for obedience class as you can start doing it now.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got my dog when he was 8 weeks old, he was 6 months old when he got completely house trained. It took four months to get there. Relatively long time but he never had an accident after. You are almost there
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

UGH! I responded and it wouldn't let me post. Trying again...

You said she poos and then comes in and pees. Make sure she also pees, before you allow her back inside.

Limit her water intake. She does NOT need to drink constantly. Pick her water up in the evening. If she is making puddles in the hallway, the hallway is too much space for her. Keep her in the crate, or tethered to you. Take her outside every hour. Under no circumstances should she have access to your upstairs, until she is completely housebroken.

Yes, many dog lose control when excited.

Best of luck. Hang in there. It does get better.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hunter is now a year and a half. Up until a couple months ago she still had the occasional accident inside despite all the training I did with her. Then one day I realized it had been a month since she had an accident and we are now about 3 months without one. So don't be discouraged, it just takes time.
Hunter Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Clicker training does work wonders. But you must be consistant. The problem I had with it was, because it is a treat reward Lucy wouldn't do anything unless I had a treat in my hand. It took a long time and many tantrums to break that habit. And we really never did.
Kapoohski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Here's how the clicker thing works...while the dog is peeing outside you click, say good girl/boy, and give a little treat. I used the clicker for all kinds of things and they do seem to respond to it. I wouldn't wait for obedience class as you can start doing it now.
I thought I would hate the sound of the clicker, and only used a word to mark her correct behavior before rewarding our lab puppy. When I took her to puppy class, the trainer asked me to give it a try. What do you know? It works! I often forget to have it on me, and still use "YES" to mark her correct behavior. But when I picked up our beagle last night, I made sure that I had a new clicker with a wristlet attached! She's doing great so far. She has pee'd and poo'd ONLY outside, and this is day one. I do find it harder to recognize the signs. With our lab, as soon as she starts sniffing the ground, I know to take her out. The beagle pup is ALWAYS sniffing!!! LOL
Glitter&Grunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

G&G
Congratulations, recently I had to buy a new clicker because my old one got so used it fell apart...lol I dont use it as much anymore but I like to re-enforce good behavior from time to time. keep up the good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement