Eating her own poop - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Eating her own poop

This is a grose question but does anybody else have this problem?

Sometimes right after she has gone she will turn and start to eat it, is this at all common? Will she get sick from it?

I obviously don't let her do it but during the night she is in her crate and she still poops in her crate sometimes dispite letting her out every 3-4 hours. I think she do it then also.

This makes her smell and she gets gas and burps and you can imagine what that smells like.

I'm trying her on these tablets from pets at home for coprophagia and she's taken them for 5 days but they don't seem to be doing the job. Anyone know of anything else I could maybe try and use?
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Lucy has done this from the day I brought her home and she doesn't discriminate between hers and others. We brought that up in her training class and the trainer said that "dogs have been doing it for 50,000 years. Some dogs do it and some dogs don't. If your dog doesn't do it consider yourself lucky. If they do, you aren't going to stop them in this class." The only thing you can do is try to pick it up as soon as she goes if you can. Sometimes I will literally hold the scooper under her so it drops in. I have heard that if you put pineapple juice in the dog's food it is supposed to make them stop. I don't know if it works though. Lucy is almost 8 and it hasn't hurt her. Once in a while she will vomit but that's about it. (That's really nasty!)
Kapoohski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It is really hard to get a dog to stop eating poop other than telling them NO and picking it up right away. Since you have a puppy, she is young enough to break that habit. The poop eating won't hurt her but as you said its gross and will make her get gas. This article has some good info:

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtua...es/coprophagia
Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Our experiences in this "issue" in images. Emoticons speak a thousand words.
Bops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

My dog is 10 1/2 months and has done it since we've had her at 8 weeks. I used "Forbid" powder in her food prescribed by the vet...well it didn't work and its very expensive so I gsve up on that. I have heard that pineapple and spinach works since they don't like the taste but I haven't tried it.
I pretty much have her poop schedule figured out since she does it soon after going out on our patio in the morning so I'm right there and some times she's faster than me! I have even resorted to chasing her around for pieces of it...oh geez.

I'm lucky she has never pooped in her crate except once when she had diarrhea. There is some comfort in knowing that other dogs do it toooooo!...lol
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys, there is a lot of comfort in knowing my dog isn't the only werido addicted to poop. Like you said my dog likes to have a try at a few different poo's. You leave her loose in the garden and she is bound to sniff out some that some random cat has left behind which must smell yummy to her...we've stopped letting her loose in the whole garden now and she is blocked into the small yard. She would have a good go at other dog poo on walks if I didn't keep dragging her away.

Its gross and she loves to give kisses, nice big lick on your lips when your not expecting it haha.

Thanks guys I feel slightly better about it now, hopefully I can break the habit.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am so glad Brodie doesn't do this! I have taught her 'leave it' and when we are walking I must say it over 100 times, but it's worked, I just say it once and she leaves anything she's sniffing at.

If you want to hear gross though - my cat brought in a dead mouse and Brodie wolfed it down before we could get to her. All hubby managed to pull out of her mouth was mouse tail with a wee bit of mouse ass attached!
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would never get close enough for "licky faces". Also I suggest you try to not allow your dog to eat other dogs/cat's feces-you never know if they have worms, giardia or other intestinal issues that can be passed to your dog.

By the way, I just looked out the window and saw her having a "snack"!!
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Claire only eats her poop in the winter. I have to go out & pick up her "poopsicles" before she can at them. Disgusting!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Clairebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

My dog too likes to eat poop. Especially in the winter as well, somehow she sniffs it out under the snow. I was told to use meat tenderizer on her food to stop her from eating her own poo which has worked well, unfortunately it doesn't stop her from eating other dogs.
Hunter Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement