Any tips on potty training? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Any tips on potty training?

We have had Millie nearly 1 month now and she is almost 14 weeks old

We are crate training Millie during the night or when she is left alone in the house but we aim to let her out to the garden every 3-4 hours.

Yet she still pee's and poops in her crate, last week I thought we was making progress because she didn't do anything in her crate and held it in until she got into the garden and we praised her loads and gave her treats everytime she did it outside.

Also we are still having accidents during the day on the floor, I seem to let her out to go toilet praise her when she goes outside bring her in and then she pee's or poops on the floor 10 minutes later...I've tried keeping her outside for a few minutes after shes done her business to see if she will go again but she just starts clawing at the door crying and wanting back inside.

She has only ever gone toilet once on a walk, she tends to hold it in until we get home aswel.

Any tips would be great thanks. It is my first puppy and I've not had a dog since I was a child so it's all new to me!

Ruth
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Brodie is now 20 weeks and it's only this week that she has not pooed in her crate or peed in the house all week. We got rid of the puppy pads in the house and her crate, made her crate floor the whole bed with a big fleece blanket that we previously used as a sofa blanket and she just stopped pooing.

Put a pad at the door and take it away when she uses it all the time. Then put her outside when she circles in that area.

Make her crate sleeping area bigger and bigger till you can take away the pad and she will naturally not want to poop on her bed.

I'll tell you, 4 weeks ago I wouldn't have believed that she would ever stop pooing in her crate and I was at the end of my tether. Last week my hubby had had enough of me being upsetting about cleaning poo. But this week has been fantastic and all I did was take away the pad, make her bed the entire crate with a blanket that smells of us and that was it. Perfect pooch. Just persevere and trust her to know what to do eventually.

Playing about with the food routines helped too as I found a feeding schedule which means that Brodie poos when I take her out and doesn't need in between. Feeding her before a walk seems to make her go.

5 weeks down the line and you'll be smiling too - I promise.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I forgot to say that we got Brodie at 10 weeks too and we crate trained - so very similar situations. And my friends told me that bitches are harder to toilet train - but just persevere and you'll get it.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the tips and reassurance. Going to give them a try. We usually feed her about 7pm-8pm and she goes in her crate about midnight and by 3am she's messed her crate even though I will of tried about 3 times before bed to take her in the garden and she doesn't do anything and then the crate is a mess again at 7am.

I will give your tips a go and maybe feed her at 6pm see if that helps at all.

Love her to bits but that crate is a nightmare to be cleaning at 3 in the morning.

Ruth
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

For months my dog would pee in the crate and when she did she would howl since she didn't like a wet crate. I was washing a load of her towels every day. I reduced the paper pads in her pen area until there were none so she would pee outside consistently..that worked but there were some accidents on the tlle floor. She's 10 months now and is pee-free in the house. My Beag goes her her crate about 6:30 pm for night time. I wake her about 10pm for a pee on a pee pad by the back door and then she goes back into the crate until 6am.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I feed half of her food at 6am and then the other half at 4pm. Both times are just before I take her for a walk. And she poos on both those walks.

Brodie was pooing about 3/4 times a day but now at 20 weeks she just poos twice.

It will get better, I promise.

Also what food do you give Millie? Some foods make them poo more than usual. I give Brodie Eukanuba and she only gets 120-150g a day.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

I give Millie science plan for under one years of age, she seems to like it and the vet told me it was a good food but she poos about every 3 hours...I feed her a handful in the morning 6-8am, a small handful in the afternoon 1-2pm and then another handful in the evening 6-8pm. Maybe I feed her too much, she doesn't always eat it all right away unless she's really hungry and then she is snacking on it during the day.

Maybe it would be a good idea to take her food away once she has finished with it or something?

I've always had cats so having a puppy is new to me, its a learning curve. That's main reason I joined the forum, it's going to be a big help for me. My boyfriend has always had dogs but he's always at work and I'm here with her by myself most the time lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Try feeding her twice a day and take her out as soon as she eats - and try and get a handle on how long it take her to digest the food and poo, that way you can change your feeding times to make sure she doesn't poo when she's in her crate.

Make sure you aren't feeding her too much too. Brodie wolfs down the entire bowl in one go so I don't need to take her bowl away.

For me, feeding at 8pm is too late as Brodie won't digest and need to poo until the early hours of the morning. Feeding her at 4pm, her last feed, means that by 10/11pm she's ready to poo and empties her bowels on a 10 minute walk, before she goes in her crate for the night.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

I suggest you actually measure out the food with a measuring cup so that you understand what the volume is for her size. Also using your hand is a safety issue for you as you could potentially get salmonella.

By the way your Beag is really cute.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Its my suggestion to care for its shaping and food routine ,,
to feed him just tow time in a day and set its crate near about your
door steps or near that where you plane to potty ...
Advertisement