Just adopted my first beagle and have some questions - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just adopted my first beagle and have some questions

I just adopted my first dog (haven't had a dog since I was little and it was not a beagle).

She is a 3 year old beagle (Bella) and my guess is she's had puppies at some point from her extended nipples.

We've only had her 5 days and she's doing great so far. BUT...here are my questions

Pottying: How often do you need to walk the dog? I think I'm walking her too much, but don't want her to have an accident. She doesn't even go 1/2 the time when I walk her but she seems happy to see the leash. So far she has had 2 pee accidents (the first two nights) and 2 poop accidents. Both poop accidents were when I wasn't home. First one happened when my husband was home and second one happened when I was gone for an hour and had literally walked her just before I left and she didn't pee or poop. She also has diahrrea which she has had since we got her 5 days ago. I have started giving her treats when she goes poop outside hoping that will help.

Leash: She doesn't always like to walk on the leash. She gets very stubborn and will just refuse to move.

Those seem to be my 2 main concerns. If anyone can help with either of these situations or offer any advice I might not even know I need I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
simbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Leash training....and another Bella

Just wanted to say "hi" as we also just joined this forum and our 4 1/2-month-old Beagle is also named Bella. She's also our first Beagle so I'm not able to help you with their particular personalities/traits, but I did once have a dog who had to learn to walk on a leash after years of never having to (because previously we'd had so much safe space for him to be out in). He hated the leash and refused to walk, so what we finally did was put the leash on him (a short, non-retractable one) and let him drag it all over the house. Then we started picking it up while playing with him, and finally followed him holding it. He got used to it after a couple of days and then would walk outside with it. Good luck with your Bella!
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement