Anyone have experience with elderly beagles? - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default We brought Lucys' ashes home.(our 'pure bred mix'

Only cost us $150. I bought a glass memorial from a company in Golden Colorado and it cost $100 and it was a small glass ball about the size of a golf ball that had her ashes mixed in with the glass and color. (About 1/4th teaspoon).
We still have the rest of the ashes in a small velvet bag on the shelf. I can't bear to part with them. She was my first dog ever.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Think about Claire, is she getting any joy out of her life. We just lost our lab Sally. She seemed upset when she lost control of her bowels and no longer wanted to eat even her most favorite foods. We had her cremated but did not bring home her ashes. We have pictures and memories that we enjoy more.
elle-8b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am so sorry you are going through this with Claire. My very first dog was a beagle. He lived 'til the age of 17. He was the only dog I ever had who died in his sleep. That is what we always wish for, but it seldom happens.

I had to have my 14.5 year old German Shepherd PTS in August. Like Claire, she was failing. She had degenerative myelopathy - no muscle mass in her hind quarters and progressive paralysis. Incontinence issues. She often seemed confused. I had to lift her up the few steps into the house. She did not seem to be in pain, but clearly had no quality of life. I had the vet come to my house and "Annie" was able to go to sleep at home. It was so much less stressful. She went peacefully. I know it was the right thing to do and I felt a burden had been lifted.

A very wise young lady told me this...."It is better to put your pet to sleep two weeks too soon, than one day too late." So true. I know, because I've been there. Nothing worse than wishing you hadn't waited so long.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers as you face this very difficult decision.

Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for that quote, it's helping a lot. Claire has made it through Christmas & has had a good week. She is getting some extra spoiling & I'm enjoying the time she has left with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Clairebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

AW! I'm glad the quote helps. It helped me too. I hope that Claire has more good days than bad. You will know when it is time.

Hugs to you and Claire.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement