HELP! 4 month old Beagle scared to get out of garage! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
sel

Exclamation HELP! 4 month old Beagle scared to get out of garage!

Hi guys,
My name is Sel, and im new to this forum! I have a four month old beagle named Bernie. He is the most amazing thing that could ever come into our lives. We are first time dog and beagle owners so we are learning alot with him!

My issue is, yesterday I went out the back through the garage door and on the brick vener near the door way there were a heap of ants.. and I mean a heap!!!

Without realizing that Bernie could get affected by this, I close the garage door, and locked him in while I sprayed the bug spray all over the bricks.

Bernie was barking so I can let him out however after a few shakes and sprays, he went quiet. Still didnt notice this until once finished, and I opened the door, he was in the corner salivating! Obviously terrified.

I tried comforting him, then straight away went to water down what I just sprayed as the smell was everywhere! Obviously he could smell it more than I could so it could have affected him. He didnt lick it or anything, just every time he smelt it he would start barking and growling! He would not get out of the garage, even to go to potty! I tried so hard to show him that there is nothing to be a afraid of, however he would just come a little close smell the door way and with his tail between his legs, would run away!

Now I went back in to check on him this morning, and the same thing, his not budging. I am very scared and wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experience. His character is still the same however he is just very quiet scared and watching his steps as to where if he gets close to the door way he will run back!

Any ideas would help very much.. should I take him to the vet? Thank you in advance! I really appreciate it!
sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The chemical must have really affected him, could have burned his nose or throat and scared him. Is he acting normal in the house? Can you carry him around that area for now?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

what i would do is get him checked by a vet, or try taking him outside from another doorway the smell of whatever u sprayed is maybe too strong for ur pup or see if there is something u can use to drown the smell from that area thats safe for ur youg baby puppy
pilon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Take him to a vet. ASAP. Insecticide can affect him neurologically
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
sel

Hi guys thank you all for getting back to me I appreciate it a lot! He is now back to normal after one day so I'm very happy about that.. Should I still consult a vet?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

i would have him checked out just to be sure hes ok u can never be too careful
pilon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I happened to have an ant issue right after this post topic came up. The ants were right at the door step where my dog exists to the patio. A non-toxic way to kill ants is to boil water and add lemon or orange juice and grate the peel into the water and pour over the infestation-voila ants are dead and havent returned. There is a product that exterminators use called orange-oil that kills termites and other pests and is non-toxic. Apparently the buggies don't like citrus.

Last edited by Cassie; 12-02-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
sel

Thank you to everyone who replied and helped me out, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljas View Post
Take him to a vet. ASAP. Insecticide can affect him neurologically
I agree! Have a vet check him asap.
Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement