Mya the Anchor Dog - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mya the Anchor Dog

So, I am new here, and am at a total loss with my newly adapted girl Mya. I grew up with GSD and Huskies. And this little hound is so very different. To start, she is easily 15lbs overweight, had never been on a leash before we got her 3 weeks ago. She is doing alright considering. But she does this 'dead weight' thing. We will be walking great, I let he sniff a little and track a little, and half the time she will recall when I ask. But the other half...Oh my God. She plants her feet, and I stop walking, call, light tug on harness, call light tug on harness, call one more time...then it is a waiting game. 26 minutes, I stood there, with her feet planted. When it is 23 degrees outside, and we are clogging the sidewalk....I have to give in a pull her, no... DRAG HER. She lays on her side, tail wagging, while I drag her through the snow. We get way from that smell, like a block away, and she pops up and is normal again. I have never seen or heard of such a willful dog! I have tried treats, I have tried, baby talk calling her, I tried running trying to get her to follow. Notta. She is on a diet and exercise regimen, and NEEDS to walk. But when she is planted, shivering, and stubborn, I almost just don't want to walk her! She loves being outside, and loves to smell and walk and romp and play. But this is humiliating. We have a yard with a fence, but it is so good for her to hike and smell and be a dog. But I am at a loss.
Also, second issue. I have 2 cats. One, the orphan kitten, she adores, and they play and cuddle, and she almost guards him. But my adult female, she HATES. It is like a wild west showdown in my hallway every day when they pass, slow motion, they both puff up, growl, and sneak past each other. And She has gone after the adult cat twice, over the bed. And once when the two cats were playing. I have never had this issue, of loving one cat, hating other haha
All my tactics growing up training, etc, do not work with this beagle. We adore her, and she is so kind, and sweet, and cuddly. But these issues need to be figured out! We can't even have the cats in the room at night, cause even though the dog is on the floor, she guards the bed and won't let the adult cat near the bed. Growling, she goes full 'stegosaurus' (what I call her when her back hair goes up) and it scares me. She has never been in a crate. And is a saint when we are gone. (minus I put the cats up out of fear, they don't mind they sleep all day anyways)
Any more experienced Beagle owners advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ali

Last edited by alicline90; 11-28-2012 at 05:10 PM.
alicline90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Mya

This is Miss Mya the Anchor
Attached Thumbnails
Mya the Anchor Dog-smaller.jpg  
alicline90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement