Out of Control Beagle - Please Help! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Out of Control Beagle - Please Help!

Hi there.

I am in a unique predicament, so I'll explain. I live with my in-laws currently. I have a 6 year old beagle. They have a dog who they leave food out for at all times (He's skinny, so they baby him) and my beagle WILL NOT stop eating it. I give her a cup of diet food in the morning, but every single time I turn my back or go in the other room she has a go at the other. I tell her a clear NO every time, but she just keeps going back. She is 55 pounds, and she can barely breathe and constantly snores in her sleep from this weight. Moving/taking away this other dish is OUT of my control. My in laws are obviously aware my dog will not stop eating their dog's food, and has a serious weight problem, but they just do not seem to care enough to do anything. I don't feel like it's my place to tell them what to do with their dog's food either, as it is not my home.

Not only that, but she thinks its ok to pee inside the house. She never lets me know that she has to go out. I am home all day and I take her out frequently. I took her to the vet and she doesn't have a bladder infection. She's been having accidents almost her whole life, even though she was crate trained. She KNOWS where she needs to go potty outside, and I praise her every single time, sometimes even give her treats for it, but she continues to pee in the house over and over, at least once a week. When I tell her she's been bad, I can tell in her eyes that she KNOWS and gives me a guilty look. I don't understand why she won't stop!

Does anyone have any advice for either situation? My dog is out of control! I love her to death, but I am just SO fed up with her behavior. I have tried everything I know.

Last edited by greenteamochi; 11-07-2012 at 12:31 AM.
greenteamochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Since you are home all day. leash her to you. that way no food mishaps and you should beable to watch for signs of potty issues before they happen. The dog is a far cry from out of control. she is a dog, and dogs like to eat. so offcourse she will eat food she finds on the floor. sounds like she is obeese and needs more excersise and a diet as well.
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAD85 View Post
Since you are home all day. leash her to you. that way no food mishaps and you should beable to watch for signs of potty issues before they happen. The dog is a far cry from out of control. she is a dog, and dogs like to eat. so offcourse she will eat food she finds on the floor. sounds like she is obeese and needs more exercise and a diet as well.
I keep her with me all day long in a room, it's sad but I guess I'm the only one in the house that feels bad for her. I'm sick of watching her like a newborn baby. Dogs shouldn't require constant supervision. She is 6 years old for crying out loud. I don't even understand why she HAS potty issues. She is on a diet, hence me stating "diet food" and she gets walked everyday.

Sorry for sounding rude in my reply, LAD85, I am just so frustrated. I am already aware of these problems and am looking for other suggestions. Thanks for replying.

Last edited by greenteamochi; 11-08-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you can afford it maybe taking the dog to doggie day camp once or twice a week for a little while might help. This would give the dog the opportunity to get exercise, be supervised by others, and not eat while at camp. My dog comes home exhausted and I have peace for a day. Anyway its an idea. You need a break girlfriend
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

When an animal is that morbidly obese, it is nearly impossible for them to control their bladder - unless they have free access to the outside.

My suggestion: concentrate on having her lose weight first. As LAD suggests, keep her leashed to you - that way you can control what she eats. When she sniffs, take her out. Don't yell at her for accidents, ignore her for a few minutes. Praise success.

Take her on more walks. Start slowly, not too far at first, and not for too long, but several times a day. Gradually, make the walks longer and farther. Walks will be a good stress reliever for you too, and is healthier for both of you than being cooped up in one room all day. Use a harness, not a leash attached to a collar.

As she gets into better physical condition, the potty problems will stop.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
If you can afford it maybe taking the dog to doggie day camp once or twice a week for a little while might help. This would give the dog the opportunity to get exercise, be supervised by others, and not eat while at camp. My dog comes home exhausted and I have peace for a day. Anyway its an idea. You need a break girlfriend
Thanks for your suggestion. I wish I did have the money to do such a thing, she would love it! We sometimes take her to the dog park on the weekends.

You're right, I do need a break!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljas View Post
When an animal is that morbidly obese, it is nearly impossible for them to control their bladder - unless they have free access to the outside.

My suggestion: concentrate on having her lose weight first. As LAD suggests, keep her leashed to you - that way you can control what she eats. When she sniffs, take her out. Don't yell at her for accidents, ignore her for a few minutes. Praise success.

Take her on more walks. Start slowly, not too far at first, and not for too long, but several times a day. Gradually, make the walks longer and farther. Walks will be a good stress reliever for you too, and is healthier for both of you than being cooped up in one room all day. Use a harness, not a leash attached to a collar.

As she gets into better physical condition, the potty problems will stop.
I did suspect the weight might be the issue with the potty problems. I am trying to work on the weight, but it is hard when I get so frustrated at her eating unless I watch her every second of my day. I am not ready for a baby yet, but I feel like I have one!!

I am a student and a wife with a lot of responsibilities,and it's hard to juggle everything all alone sometimes. I will do better about walking her more. I just get so fed up when I take time out of my day to take her on walks and she goes and eats the calories back in the five minutes that I need to go to the bathroom. When I have to go out for groceries or things I need to do for myself, I can't leave her downstairs because she eats and my snotty brother in law moves the food dish back even though I'm gone a short while, and I can't leave her in the room because she howls. It's like ..... Sigh. It feels like a vicious cycle that I have no control over.

Thanks for your well thought out reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement