Starving/neglected beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Starving/neglected beagle

About seven years ago my wife and I brought a puppy beagle for our three daughters. I had a beagle when I was a child and had named him Bangles, so that is what we named the new girl.

When Bangles (II) was about eight months old she disappeared from our backyard. My wife and I searched the neighborhood but couldn't find any trace of her. We had heard rumors of a dog fighting ring in our county, and were afraid that Bangles had been grabbed for a bait dog.

Fast forward to last week. The Sheriff's office busted a puppy mill. One of the dogs that were recovered was a female beagle. We looked through all the pictures and then looked at the dog and are faily certain that we have Bangles again. We won't ever know for sure, but the ages and colorations work out perfectly.

She has been starved almost to death, literally. She only weighs 12 lbs. She is 13 inches tall at the shoulders and 24 inches nose to rump. She has hardly any musculature and absolutely no fat. She can't even climb more than three stairs at a time (our front door steps).

My wife took Bangles to the vet and he gave her a quick once over, shots, wormer and a relative clean bill of health. She has one issue with a front paw that needs to be taken care of, but getting her weight/strength back is our first priority.

We are feeding her soft puppy food right now. This weekend we have been feeding five ounces every three hours with the first feeding at eight am and the last around one am. We don't want to feed her too much at one time. She always wants more. This schedule (somewhat) works out on the weekend, but we go back to work and won't be able to maintain it during the week.

How much, and how often should we be feeding her? We think that she needs to at least double her weight, but don't want to make her sick in the process.

Thanks for the feedback!
millsp30467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That is so awesome that you have her back!! Of course it breaks my heart to think about where she has been.

I would call the vet about her feeding, you don't want to overwhelm her digestive system. I would think maybe 4 balanced meals a day would be good.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollys Mom View Post
That is so awesome that you have her back!! Of course it breaks my heart to think about where she has been.

I would call the vet about her feeding, you don't want to overwhelm her digestive system. I would think maybe 4 balanced meals a day would be good.

Thanks for the reply. We have an appointment on Tuesday, and will definately talk to him about it. He has been overwhelmed, as he is the only local vet and basically volunteered to see all the dogs. There were 120 that survived, and most of these were not as well off as ours.

We are also having some potty issues, and can't tell if she can't control her bladder or just "forgot" house rules. We aren't putting a lot of pressure on her, just watching her very close and taking her out when she circles/sniffs. We've had a few accidents.

All in all though we are fortunate. Like I said earlier, most are not as well off as she is.

Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Awww, the poor baby is just so confused. Once she learns your routine and when/where she is supposed to go to the bathroom so will be fine. One of my rescue greyhounds was pretty much abandoned in a crate - hungry, full of bugs and had to go to the bathroom in the crate. So when he came to us, he had some oooops too until he learned that outside was the place to go.

I would keep feeding small meals until you can get to the vet. he might be a bit dehydrated too so you can stir some water in the food.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Try to feed her a little more, a bit further apart. Can someone stop in during the day to feed her? Also, leave some kibble out for her too - crunchy foods can be more satisfying for some dogs. Make sure it is a small sized kibble - it is easier to swallow. And make sure that fresh water is available in several places in the house.

When a dog is in such poor condition, it is difficult or impossible for them to control their bowls or bladder. You are right to put your emphasis on her recovery first.

I hope that Bangles is better soon. She is lucky to have caring owners like you. Please let us know how she does.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Millsp30467. My heart goes out to you. We couldn't help but cry when I read your post out. We have two little ones and I can't imagine how sad and devastating it must have been for you and your family. Poor Bangles must have terrified in that place. At least she's back now and in a caring and loving environment. We wish Bangles a speedy recovery
Cutesthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Feed her more food per serving.
Such great news you have her back!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice. Bangles is adjusting fairly well; the potty training is coming along slowly, but it's frustrating. For years she had to go in her cage, so we are struggling to get her not to go wherever she just happens to be. But we are making progress.

We took her to the vet 10 days after we got her. She had gained 5 lbs, and she is starting to fill out some. She will have to have two front toes taken off, but we are going to wait another week or so so she will have more strength. All in all it was a good vet report.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's so sad. =(

The good part is that you found her again and she has you to love and care for her. It's good that she always wants more food. Such a common beagle theme. I hope she gets better and things get less stressful for you.
greenteamochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey everyone,
Here's a quick update:
Bangles has gained around 20 lbs. We've gotten her used to two feedings per day, and she seems to be satisfied (She no longer dumpster dives in the trashcan, some of which I think was a hold-over from the survival mode). We still have her on a high protien diet, hoping to improve her muscle tone, which still needs improvement, especially in her back legs/rump area. She doesn't stand as erect as she should.

Now that she has gotten her strength and weight back we had her spayed today. We also had the two toes on her front paw aputated. She is back home and woozy, but seems to be doing fine. Hopefully she will be fully alert tomorrow.

She does have a very somber temperment. She doesn't play with our other two dogs or us. In fact, she just seems puzzled by it. I can't help but to think that she is very sad and "shell shocked" from her experiences. I hope as time goes by she will get happier.

Thanks again for the advice!

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement