Dog ate chocolate...help! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9
Default Dog ate chocolate...help!

Our 3 year old beagle ate a piece of brownie tonight - Betty crocker triple chocolate chunk or whatever it's called. I'd left it setting out on a table thinking my husband was sitting there and was going to eat it and later on we noticed it was gone and hubby didn't eat it. So it's either our beagle or our standard poodle who has been known to eat two Reese cups in the past and was okay, probably because he is 72 lbs though.

Our baby is only 25 pounds though and I'm worried to death about her... Too late to call Banfield and right now she's sleeping and even ate some dog food and drank a little water but I read where it could take a few hours to see if anything happens plus I've read where it's not pure chocolate but I know a friend who's mini-pinscher ate half a chocolate bar and died from it so just beside myself at this point.

It's going to be a long night....
Alliem71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
Default

I'm not really a dog owner yet since my puppy is still with his mom but I did a little research concerning your problem cause it could happen to any of us. I found this website and it might help answer some of your questions. I hope your beagle or poodle is doing okay!

Chocolate and Dog Poisoning

Last edited by Nika; 09-25-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Nika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Ok. Everything will depend on how big the brownie was. I know you are worried but calm down.

Nature is very wise. The body will be furiously trying to get rid of the chocolate if there was any serious danger for your baby.

Still, the thing to do right now is to find an emergency vet to call if necessary (so if things get out of control, you will have the phone number handy).

Please, stay calm (to be able to think clearly) and let us know how it goes.

Good luck
Claudia
claudia robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AlacratStore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Default

My 12 pound toy fox terrier ate a Worlds Finest milk chocolate bar & I need help on what to do. Some home remedies to treat here?I really need some help?
AlacratStore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
baba57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Default

I thinks the thing you to do right now is to find an emergency vet to call if necessary so things get out of control of dog.!
Good luck
__________________
Note: I like watch movies, listen to music on Youtube and Play funny friv games on friv.ind.in
baba57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Default

I love the sweet and I love sharing interesting things above.thank you for sharing lots of interesting information. Good luck!
_______________________________
Note: I like watch movies, listen to music on Youtube and Play funny kizi games on kizi1.org
bembem8x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Default

i don't think you should panick too much, i've owned dogs ever since i can remeber and not up until a few years ago did i know it was bad for a dog to eat chocolate, i remeber my nan having a beagle when i was younger that she would feed chocolate and i think it lived for 15 years, which i thought was incredible, one piece of chocolate wont really hurt it, just try not to let it happen again
jadtheman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
greenteamochi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Default

My dog got into a whole bag of chocolate caramel nut candy before, and I was really worried. I watched her closely but didn't see any signs of poisoning, and she didn't vomit or look ill at all. She was absolutely fine, although her poop was soft for a couple days. Maybe the toxicity has more to do with the weight to consumption ratio, so a smaller dog might get more sick over it. I am amazed she ate what she ate and did not get ill. Simply amazed. Either way, I am careful with chocolates now! Thanks for the link it was an interesting read and very helpful.
greenteamochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AudreysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Default

If you think the chocolate was eaten recently, (in the last couple of hours), you can use peroxide to induce vomiting. Here are instructions with the type and amount to use.
How to Induce Vomiting (Emesis) in Dogs - Page 1

I've done this in the past. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Basically, any chocolate is risky until you know whether your dog is susceptible or not. Some dogs are and some aren't (same as raisins). The worst is baker's chocolate or dark chocolate, since they are very pure and concentrated. Chocolate flavoured things, or baked goods with chocolate in them, are less worrisome, although if your dog hasn't stolen a treat before and you don't know how they will react, any dose should mean that be cautious and monitor your dog. Best advice is to call your vet and ask for their advice. They may suggest to induce vomiting and call again after that, or they may just ask you to bring the dog in. They can induce vomiting in the vet office with an injection. Works very quickly.

My 6 year old Brittany ate half a box (30 pieces) of dark chocolate filled with liqueuer, last Christmas. Then the peroxide didn't work to induce vomiting. He then threw up the whole mess in the car on the way to the vet. I think the dark chocolate and alcohol was probably the riskiest combination there was and he ended up fine - unaffected, but NOT ALL DOGS are the same.

Once the toxins are through the digestive tract and into their system, the risks are much higher and the treatment more involved (and of course expensive). Better to get it out of their system as soon as you can.

/ann
(my beagle hasn't gotten into chocolate, but the brittany's have a sweet tooth)
AudreysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AudreysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Oh, and GreenTeaMochi - you are right, the amount of chocolate ingested and the size/weight of the dog are important to assess the risk. If you call the vet, they will ask right away, how much chocolate, how big is the dog.
AudreysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com