dirty ears & red eyes - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default dirty ears & red eyes

hello, does anyone know if some dog foods can give the dog dirty ears ? sounds funny but seams like if i try a different food he gets dirty ears and red eyes....any help
bandit09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I am just guessing but it seems like an allergy of some sort, maybe to gluten or something in the foods. When we adopted Vazzle they told us she was eating Science Diet so that's what we started feeding her. She had dandruff, VERY smelly fur and stinky ears. As soon as we switched her food the smells went away and her coat is beautiful.

This site has some good info on allergies:

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-hea..._rhinitis.aspx

Last edited by Mollys Mom; 09-02-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Mollys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi
Beagles are prone to ear infections due to their long ears which keeps the ear canal warm and a breeding ground for bacteria. Use a dog ear cleaner at least once a week-I pour some on cotton balls and wipe out her ears-you may need a little help to keep the dog from wiggling away from you. I wipe fairly deep in the ears and get out any flakes of dirt. If the inside of the ears are a dark pink then have the vet take a look as ear drops may be needed-I keep some on hand and periodically put drops in for prevention.
My Beag also seems to have blood shot eyes from time to time-if your dog has very red eyes then check with the vet.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

To Mollys Mom, my beagles fur is oily and has a smell and also he has dry skinů and gets yeast infections in his ears ALL THE TIME lol. I have been feeding him beneful, what kind of food do you feed Molly that helped her coat?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Baxter'sBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well, its only a guess and not sure. Dude, I think a dog get dirty ears and red eyes
if he is allergic from some food.
Try to find some alternative.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Max has dirty ears. The pet store recommended cleaning them once a month, but I'm cleaning them twice a week it seems.

As mentioned above he had/still has some dandruff, but its getting better with brushing it every so often. The smelly fur we thought was as a result of the pet store. He had one wash so far, they recommended once a month bath for him. The smell is improving though.

The pet store gave us a bag of "Lassy" puppy food. But now that it ran out he's eating Purina Pro Plan and seems to enjoy it quite a lot.
TrueBlueFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would not feed any food you can buy at walmart or a grovery store. all are full of junk.

I have cleaned my beagles ears maybe 4 times in 2.5 years. His ears never have a issues, shiny coat, no dry skin, white teeth.

I feed a grain free food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter'sBud View Post
To Mollys Mom, my beagles fur is oily and has a smell and also he has dry skin… and gets yeast infections in his ears ALL THE TIME lol. I have been feeding him beneful, what kind of food do you feed Molly that helped her coat?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
beneful is full of junk. think about if you ate mcdonalds cheese burger every day. id bet you anything if you switched to a good quality (no corn, grains, fillers) you would see a world of a difference.

please go to dog food annalyis website to leanr more about dog food
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

We feed the Costco brand food. I think it is a very good quality. Taste of the Wild and Blue Buffalo are other good brands.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

We bathe our beagles only a few times a year, and then usually only if they have gotten into something stinky or muddy. I find that they are remarkably clean and non-smelly, especially compared to our shih tzu, whose coat gets oily and limp if she isn't bathed biweekly at least. We do clean their ears once a month or so, but as a preventative; we've never had any problems. I would go along with everyone else and suggest changing his food. Something in there just isn't agreeing with him.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, Molly, please tell us what you feed.
Sean Casey, the rescue center where I got Jesse, recommended Innova. He likes it but doesn't gobble it down. I consulted a pet supply store owner and he said that the important thing is how your dog does with the food, ie how firm the stool is. He says different dogs do better with different foods. Afterwards, I decided to stick with Innova even though it's $50 for 30 lbs. When Jesse's hungry, he gobbles it up. Most specialty pet supply denounce the commercial brands. Sean Casey says to read the ingredients to see what the first three listings are.

I do think that I need to supplement with some kind of oil for Jesse's coat-he itches and his skin seems a bit dry.

About baths, I never bathed my JRT, but after Jesse had one bath, he smelled so good and his fur felt so soft, I'm planning to have him bathed monthly. I can get him bathed, his nails clipped, his ears cleaned and his anals squeezed also for $50. For us in NYC, that's a deal!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement