"People food" - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default "People food"

What are the general opinions here on feeding "people food" to our pups?

My mom-in-law has always only fed her dogs "people food" - they get a full plate of whatever she's cooked for the family, usually meat and potatoes and veggies, nothing spicy or known to be harmful. Her dogs have done very well. When we got Benny I stated that he would only get kibble (and occasional treats left over from our meals) but not full plates for himself the way her dogs do.

At home he's strictly on a kibble diet and doing just fine - normal weight gain, firm poops, great health. When he goes to visit "grandma" though - about once a week for several hours - she feeds him just the same as her dogs, and he scarfs it down but sometimes throws it up later (whether because he's out running and playing immediately before/after or because of the food we don't know) and often has runny poops for a day or so after.

Now I could be firm and tell her he's NOT ALLOWED people food beyond a few treats, but this is an instance of choosing my battles. If it's generally okay to let him have this once in awhile, I won't push the issue; on the other hand if anyone here can give me evidence that it could be harmful to him I will have something to back up my argument.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm interested in hearing opinions on this too. Especially because what I thought was good dog food that I use just had a recall. :-( My fiance's childhood dog was fed people food, but I've never really considered it until now. I do know that you should never feed a dog from the table. It's funny...even though my beagle boy has never had people food, it doesn't stop him from begging and batting those sad eyes for my dinner. LOL
MyDiggityKunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I am a firm believer of NO people food for dogs other than veggies and maybe a bit of plain chicken with their dinner. This would differ of course for people that feed their dogs raw diet, but they are not feeding "people food", they are feeding food prepared for the dog.

My first beagle Benny almost died from severe pancreatitis caused by people food and chewy dog treats like Meaty Bones and Snausages. It is very common for dogs to end up at the vet with pancreatitis around the holidays because they get heavier amounts of people food.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think it depends on the dog. Some dogs have absolute garbage guts. They can eat anything. Others not so much. We had a collie that would get colitis if he had anything besides his food. It took us a long time to find a dog food he could eat. Now the only people food our dogs get regularly is a piece of dry toast once a day. You'd think we gave them filet mignon the way they scarf it down. Although I do admit to giving Lucy an occasional bit of what I am eating depending on what it is. We never feed them from the table though. My vet wants her to have NOTHING that is not her regular diet (dog food and dog treats). He says that if she has a stomach problem it is harder to determine the cause if she eats too many different things. If your dog is getting sick from the people food, tell your mother in law that his stomach can't handle the richness of people food and you prefer she just gave him his food.
Kapoohski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well before kibble (only like 30 years ago I guess) that is what dogs ate. Anything they caught and what ever was left over from the humans.

I give people food in moderation.

DogAware.com: Adding Fresh Foods to Commercial Dog Food
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would think "human food" here and there would be okay, unless you know you dog has specific issue with certain foods.

It's funny, our dog was never interested in human food before. That was before my counsin had her little ones. Now when they come to visit the dog knows the good spot to sit! But this is primarly on special occasions and holidays so it isn't a lot of bad food all the time.
sunnylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I feed tons of people food. my dogs are in immaculate shape. nothing phases them.
Define people food any way? to me veggies, fruits and meat can be a anything food.
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Chicken and veggies? Yes.....cake and cookies....no. Lol I have known people who give their dogs bowls of ice cream or pieces of cake. Obviously they shouldn't be eating junk. Lily likes to eat carrots, raddishes, peas etc. I do also from time to time give her some chicken breast that I boiled. We have never fed lily at the table and she lays in the kitchen with us while we eat but never whines or cries.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

my dog eats both. we just couldn't resist those sad eyes every time we eat.
i can tell though that he likes table food better, but that doesn't stop him from eating dog food too! his stomach is bottomless. haha.
annaloveshushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default You say tomato....

Speaking of garbage guts, my beagles will eat ANYTHING...and survive.
Nina and Pugsley took the liberty of finishing off the ripe tomatoes we had in our pathetic little garden out front. I'd say hats off to a dog who knows what he or she likes, but still they need a little help with portion control (don't we all?).

Last edited by AllDogLover; 09-09-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: following the rules
AllDogLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement