Can the purebred be saved? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can the purebred be saved?

Over 500 health issues effect purebreds. Let us demand breeders to go back to the old breeding philosophy...
FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION

It's long and the first few minutes are a little rough.

I do belive there ae some good breedes in the show field. HOWEVER these are the breeders that are health testing and not breeding for exagerated features. And many of them will show and work their dogs.

As well the mut is healthier statement- this is mutts within natural selection.
"There was a time when breeding dogs was not about looks but about talent. Man needed dogs that could perform a certain task better than any other animal on earth. The original philosophy of dog breeding was "form follows function".
Not breeding desinger breeds which is purposly bred mutts.

As for the line and inbreeding, outcrossing should be acceptable in some situations. However it shouldn't be confused with desinger breeds. I know the spynhx cat and another breed is allowed to do certain outcrossings.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010

Last edited by brandypup; 02-19-2012 at 08:30 AM.
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Let's see... Historical Bull Terrier:

Bull Terrier now:

Historical Dachshund:

Dachshund now:

Historical Pug:

Pug now:

Here's a working Basset, which shows what Basset hounds USED to look like:

Today's Basset:

And of course the worst of the worst, the historical English Bulldog:

Bulldog now:
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was going to mention in the Westminster thread about the RSPCA boycotting Crufts, but decided not to get on my soapbox.
It really frightens me - I've been around pedigree dogs all my life and have seen the steady decline in dog health. What scares me the most is the extent of inbreeding with so-called reputable/responsible and even registered breeders. When my parents bred terriers, we used to have to travel all over the country to get good stud dogs that had no family connection to our females, but when I got Buttons' 5-generation pedigree I was shocked by the number of dogs the same on both sides - then I learned this was common practice these days.
Currently registered breeders in the UK are breeding in certain health problems in the beagle - a breed previously celebrated for it sturdiness and good health. During my six years with Buttons and his health issues, I've learned that every one of them is becoming more common - undescended testes (the reason I was able to get Buttons in the first place because the breeder had originally planned to keep him as a stud) - incidence according to vets I have spoken to is increasing. Genetic predisposition to allergies - increasing in many pedigree breeds, and often very severe (my neighbour's OES died as a result of his allergies). Cruciate disease (our current biggest, and most expensive and heart-breaking problem) - increasing in top pedigree beagles because, according to the orthopaedic surgeon, many beagles now have a higher tibial plateau than they did years ago - so that the legs look good in the show-ring.
And epilepsy - I never came across an epileptic dog as a child, but I know so many of them now, including my own shih-tzu.

Last edited by Beagler; 02-19-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Beagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

The whole thing now is summed up easily, "follow the money".
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btomlin75 View Post
The whole thing now is summed up easily, "follow the money".
Right
Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh dear Ive seen this do many times as far as the British go I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot barge pole! This is why I have an olde Tyme bulldog. So much healthier. Never needed and cherry eye fixing. Eye surgery. Breathing problems nothing! He's as active as my beagle! But loads of people as said follow trends to "make money". Sad
Robyn&Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I downright HATE what they have done to cats!!! Siamese cats and Persian cats were creatures of beauty when I was young. Now, in my opinion they look like MONSTERS!!! I am told it's the "new standard", and that the traditional cats of both those breeds are no longer considered "correct!" Yuck!
Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement