Causes of Muscle tremors? CSS? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Causes of Muscle tremors? CSS?

Forgive me if there was already a post on this. I have done some searching and couldn't find anything on it.

My dog has had 2 "episodes" now.

The symptoms are muscle tremors. Mostly in the legs. Can't stand up. Some panting and drooling. Pupils dilated. Seems to be aware of his surroundings but doesn't respond. Doesn't appear to be in any pain. Doesn't yelp or whine. The episode lasted maybe 5 minutes. After it was over he acted very shy and has his tail down. That behavior lasted maybe an hour. After that he appeared normal.

After the first episode we took him to a vet. They drew blood within an hour of this episode and all the blood work showed normal levels. The vet also did a physical exam and couldn't find anything. Since the vet really didn't have an idea of what happened and since she didn't think it was a seizure we decided to take home Bingo and just keep an eye on him. That was about 2 months ago.

He had another episode last night and this one probably last a little longer. Maybe 10 minutes. Although this time when it was over he acted normal almost immediately.

I am going to take him in to the vet next week and talk to them again to see if they have any other ideas.

I did some research on my own and found that his symtoms do seem to match those of something called Canine Stress Syndrome. Although that appears to exhibit itself mostly in Labradors. Anyone have any thoughts on what may be wrong with Bingo. Or suggestions on what sort of tests I might ask the vet about?

Thanks.
kmc6566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry your going through with this. My ffirst thought was seziures. I would keep a jounral of it and possible triggers. Was he vaccinated prior to this?

The other thing that I recall - mostly in cats. Is saddle thrmbosis however that doesn't cause seizure type activity, it's generally paralisis.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Graves.html
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. No he wasn't vaccinated before the episodes. I can't pinpoint anything out of the ordinary that happened in the week before either of the episodes. And he is a "couch" beagle so only goes out to play and to go to the bathroom. The yard is fenced in so he can't get into garbage or other harmful stuff.

If I ever find out a possible explanation for his symptoms I will post it.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, please keep us posted. Thanks.

When I google CSS this link comes up
Steroid Responsive Meningitis- Beagle Pain Syndrome

There are a few people going through this ont he board but I have no experiance with it yet. (knock on wood)

Not sure if this is correct for what your looking for.
Merck Veterinary Manual

Canine stress syndrome (canine malignant hyperthermia): Causes, signs and treatment - by Darian Peters - Helium
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

It does sound like some sort of partial seizure - what with him retaining some awareness of his surroundings... the drooling, the pupil dilation and his behaviour afterwards sound familiar. Seizures can take many forms and it's difficult for a vet to give an accurate diagnosis because often by the time the vet sees the dog - well, there's nothing to see. Brandypup's advice re keeping a diary is good.
I used to keep a seizure diary for my son and it helped keep track of things (fortunately he's now outgrown his epilepsy).
My shih tzu has epilepsy and has two kinds of seizure - she'll do a full blown tonic-clonic (a Grand Mal - go stiff then have muscle jerking) or have just a prolonged tonic stage without any muscle jerking. Fortunately she doesn't have many seizures and they are infrequent so she is able to remain medication-free... and I can honestly say (apart from a little confusion afterwards, being a bit hang-dog for a half an hour or so and the occasional loss of bowel/bladder control during a seizure) it does not effect her at all. She still does everything that all the other dogs can do
Old 09-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default muscle tremors

i was reading a post from KM regarding her beagle's muscle tremors and it sounds all too familar with symptoms my 8.5 year old beagle, Glory, is experiencing. i was wondering, did you get a diagnosis? i think Glory might have Canine Stress disorder, as KM was thinking about her beagle. Here are her symptoms, if anyone can please help!
  • muscle tremors that just started for the first time in her life this past saturday. she cannot walk, hunches over, and starts shaking uncontrollably. she doesn't cry but you can see in her eyes she is under extreme pain. the pain lasts for about 30 minutes and after, she seems ok and can run around. she pants very hard during the episodes and will not lay down. the first day it happened she had two episodes like this and the next day she had another episode so we took her to the vet.
  • high calcium - we took her to the vet 24 hours after her first tremor episode because we thought she had chocolate poisoning. she got into a bag of chocolate chip cookies and ate five big cookies 24 hours prior to her first tremor episode. the doctor said the reaction is not chocolate poisoning and they now think it could be cancer due to her high calcium.
my question now is that could this be CSS? i read that CSS can be triggered by caffeine, which is in chocolate. the doctor put her on some non-steroids meds which are muscle relaxers (rimadyl, methocarbamol, and one other) and she has been on cage rest. She didn't have a tremor for 3 days after being on the meds until she went to the vet, and the fourth day after being on the meds, after not eating for about seven hours.

i was reading the symptoms of CSS and this sounds all too familar! the massive tremors, panting, caffeine onset (24 hours prior to first attack), high calcium.

can anyone please let me know your thoughts on this?
tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am curious to know why the vet said it was not a seizure, and name it muscle tremors instead? My beagle has seizures, he is conscious and aware of his surroundings (if I'm sitting beside him on the floor during the seizure he tries to get closer to me, if I just hold my hands on him and talk softly it calms him down), he drools, and obviously is shaking all over. Afterwards he just lays there panting and it is when he gets up and starts walking around (very stiffly) that he loses bowel control (although he is aware because he tried to get to the door, but is wary of going down the 2 stairs to our porch area). His seizures have lasted anywhere from 2-5 minutes.

Did the vet give you a reason he/she did not think it was a seizure?
Alyssa18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

The vet never did say why they thought it wasn't a seizure.

He has continued with the what I will call seizures over the past year. They don't seem to get getting worse or and more frequent. He seems to get them about every 4-6 weeks or so.

They usually last just a couple of minutes.

We have been keeping an eye out for anything that might help us decide what to do next. We think excitement might have something to do with it but it could just be a coincidense. I would say most of the seizures happen when he gets really riled up. For example he sees a bunny in the yard and keeps barking and getting himself worked up.

We did talk to another vet who said there is medication he can go on. But he wasn't recommending it right now because the episodes are not that frequent and don't last very long.

So right now we are just keeping an eye on him and make sure they don't get worse or more frequent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement