Beagle has stomach pain - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post Beagle has stomach pain

I have a 5 year old beagle named, Boomer. He started acting strange last night. He usually is very happy and ready to go when you walk in the kitchen, but this time he just layed on the couch. When I told him to "go outside" he whined, and when he went to get up he barked like he was in pain. He did the same when he jumped off the couch. Now he also won't let you hug or kiss him, only pet him. And even when you go to pet him, he gets scared and shakey. He kind of has an "off" breathing pattern. When you go to slighty press against his left side by his stomach, he yelps and whines in pain. What could this be?!
JAADM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is there anything he could have gotten into? Plants, toys, strings, anything? Is there anything in the yard he could have had or the garage?

Are his gums pink and have moisture? Can you press onthe gums and have the pink color return right away or does it hesitate?

Is he drinking water or eating ice cubes?

I would let him just relax, dogs sometimes have days were they do not feel well. As long as there is nothign dangerous he could have gotten into and he gums are good and he is drinking to avoid dehydration I would let him be for a day. He can go a day without food. But drinking water or having an ice cube is important.

Not sure if the breathing is stress from not feleing well. Watch him and if anything gets worse call the vet. Otherwise I would call the vet tommorow if he is still acting up and see what they say.

HUGS- My beagle is a Boomer also.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not sure if I would wait to go to the vet. Some dogs will get twisted bowels which can be dangerous. I don't know where you live, but most big cities do have emergency vet hospitals.
mysticpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Are you talking about bloat?
Bloat in Dogs

Dog Owner's Guide: Bloat
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

Old 12-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm not sure if bloat and twisted bowel are the same thing, (but I don't think so??). I just have heard of dogs that have had to be rushed into surgery due to a twisted bowel. I know when my dogs don't feel well, I can tell that they are probably nauseos (licking their lips), and their stomach makes gurgling noises, but they never seem to be in much pain. Being in a lot of pain is what concerns me about Boomer.
mysticpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Are you thinking of torsion and bloat? a good piece of info:
Understanding Bloat and Torsion ( Gastric Dialation Volvulus - GDV )

How is Boomer?
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Looking for an update also. Much hugs and prayers all is ok.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

A few years ago, I was afraid my Rat Terrier had torsion. A neighbor was moving to New York and I went over to visit and took my dog with me. This neighobr always kept a giant bowl of table scraps and food down for her dog-who was a picky eater. There were packing boxes everywhere and my dog apparently snuck in and ate the ENTIRE bowl of food without me knowing. WE came home and a few hours later she threw up-rice! I never fed her table scraps so I wondered. Then she threw up what looked like beef and collards! I swear she threw up 3 or 4 times-large amounts. Her stomach was very bloated and hard as a rock. By the time this manifiested we wre well past the window for emergency surgery-which even nif done immediately is a dice throw for saving the dog's life-plus you're talking thousands of $. I took a stethoscope and listened for bowel sounds. Finally we went to bed but she kept throwing up on the sheets. At 3am I went into the living room and slept on the floor with her. I called my daughter and said"Sophie is going to die." At some point I must have fallen into an exhausted sleep, because at 6am I was awakened by Sophie licking me. She was bouncing around, back to normal and ready to go potty and eat her breakfast!The bloat/torsion is more common in the large deep chested breeds, but could potentially happen with any breed. If they eat and drink really fast and then exercise too soon, that could be a cause. But as I said, it's something is is often fatal and MUST be treated immediately if there's any chance of survival. If your dog had that you would know it very soon.
Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement