Flea collar - yes or no? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flea collar - yes or no?

Hi everyone!

2 Weeks ago I found 2 spots on Mollys belly and thought it might be flea bites, and she was scratching a lot. Gave her a bath right away and put some flea stuff on her and washed all the blankets in the house. Now she is scratching again and I think I saw something little jump from her belly into the hair on her leg. Tried to get it, but I have no idea if it was a normal little bug or a flea. Wanted to give her another bath and put the flea stuff on her again, but it says not to use it more then once every 4 weeks. Should I get her a flea collar? Still not sure if she really had fleas to begin with, due to her having spots on her belly before where I took her to the vet and it was an allergy. Don't want to take her to the vet, due to how expensive he is, but want to help her as good as I can. Is it ok to put a flea collar on a dog that had some flea "treatment" 2 weeks ago?!?!

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the same problem, my dog is on Sentinel and Comfortis and I still find fleas. I put Advantix on him, still there are the fleas. Vet gave me a shampoo and said Advantix will wash away with the bath so I have to wait 3 days before I can apply it again. So I used the flea collar, no help. In the meantime my dog developed flea allergy. He got Temaril-p, he didn't chew himself but was leaking urine because of the steroid. I called the vet, stopped the steroid and here is the problem again. I used spray for the apartment and foggers and washed everything , I vacuum very often. There is no help. I don't now how did it happen and how to stop it. I just thought maybe the fleas used to the adventix and the Comfortis so next I try Frontline , it is waterproof and there is different ingredient in it.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

never use a flea collar. they are useless, not to mention unsafe.
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have to agree^^^

Flea collars are wrapping a poisen around your pets neck. So the fleas only stop going around the pets neck.

Your best bet is to really ask your vet. Some drops sold in stores are not safe, essecially if you have other pets in the house.

Advatnage and frontline are the most common. In some cases over used and no longer effective. Your vet will have options on what is reccoemeded and safe with other pets.

A flea comb will work wonders also.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

My ex-husband was a flea collar fanatic. And he would go to the cheap stores and buy these awful, smelly generic brand collars! Every time I saw one on my dogs I would cut it off! My vet told me long ago, that at best, a flea collar only covers that area, and as others have said they are usually full of harmful chemicals.
Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Molly and I went to the store this morning and bought a flea comb. Combed her for 20 Minutes and got 1 flea out, so we know now for sure she got them. Read that washing the dog with Down Soap helps as well, so tonight Molly will get a full dish soap bath. We always use dish soap for her belly, it helpes with her allergies, so this time I will use it all over the place. Just washed all the blankets and vaccumed the house, and going to comb her again in a few hours, since it says to do it a few times a day. Let's see if that will help. Read that flea is a big big problem right now where I live, and that some people that go to the same dog park that I take Molly to got knockout spray from their vet, to spray the house and leave for the day. It's really bad here due to the really wet spring/summer we had. Really don't like putting all the chemicals on Molly, and know that dish soap hasn't hurt her for the past few months. But only time will tell if it will work for us.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think we get the fleas from the dog park.
I also use the flea comb and usually find only one flea but somehow I'm sure there is nothing like only one flea. I'm wordering it means I can't go to the dog park anymore?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thought the same... did she get it from the park? That's where I heard "flea" for the first time 2 weeks ago, when a woman told me she saw one on one of her dogs (that dog always humps Molly), and then I checked Molly and got the stuff to put on her. Did the comb 2 more times today without any luck. Molly is a great dog and holds still, as long as I don't do her tail. Feel so bad, and try to do my best to help her. Do they die when it gets cold? Was planning on taking her to the park tomorrow, but now I think I shouldn't.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

if your dog has regular access to dirt they will prob get fleas. Eggs can live in the dirt for up to 7 yrs. I have had great success with garden lime- spreading some garden lime through the soil/dirt/garden.
We use spot on products (frontline plus/advantix etc) and sometimes flea/tick collars. We are in Australia with high previlance of paralysis ticks, and if we are bushwalking the tick collars do help.
However if using them we take them off overnight...

We no longer ever have a flea and our dog is washed twice a year.
sweetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well in the dog park there are several dogs almost without hair on the back, some has scabs and I think the park maintenance never does anything to the dirt, some spraying or so. I swear I saw fleas jumping on the dirt. So now I go to another park , more driving. I decided to go with Frontline because he never got it.
Can anybody advice me how many times do I have to do the fog?
The collar does not work at all and it 's dangerous.
I'm really upset and here in LA is still quite warm.
Advertisement