Dewclaws - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dewclaws

I know most people remove dewclaws routinly now but you may want to reconsider. they should only be removed if medically neccasary. Dewclaws are live claws, live parts of their body that are there for a reason. They grip, hold and are used for many things dog related. Especially useful for hunting and working breeds. (great pryn is required to have double dewclaws)

The main reason is because 'some' people have had dogs with torn out dewclaws that is painful. Yes it can happen. No it's not common or enough reason to remove them pre maturaly or without medical neccasity.

So when presented with the choice, have them looked at. If medicaly sound leave them and let your dog be a dog.

Removing Dew Claws - Lifestyle & Leisure - Tree.com
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ace came with dew claws, the vet wanted to remove them when he fixed him, I wanted it also but the surgery was so expensive I had not enough money for both.
I still don't know what to do. Now he is almost two and now the vet says just leave it.
The nails and claws always short so maybe it is ok . What do you think?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have never removed dew claws. I wouldn't removed them. I love wathcing my dogs with dew claws use them. Boomer came withough them. He is the only one I have owned without them and he has trouble holding his chew toys and bones.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

Old 06-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well put, Brandypup. Never remove dewclaws. It's senseless. Not sure if mine have dewclaws, I might look in a little bit.

"A dog is not just a dog. A dog is half of your soul." ~TriggerLuvu
TriggerLuvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ours only has one dew; we had him at ten weeks old and he came to us that way. The one he has is on his front paw so I don't know whether he was born without the others or whether he lost them before coming to us; I can't image they were removed as why leave just one.

I only really noticed first time I came to trim his nails; it never seemed to bother him and there was no sign of injury so I never asked.
west-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is always one in every group....let it be me. I have had many different breeds of dogs, and can honesty say that when a dew claw is torn it it a bleeding emergency. My first dog, a hybrid of Rat Terrier and Pomeranian tore two on his front paws on a metal fence, there was enough blood to think he had been shot. All three of my poodles had dews, and tore them in different accidents. So it's not so uncommon in my life with pre-beagles. Our first beagle didn't have dew claws, he was born without them, our second beagle, Cobi has them, and they curl up like a spiral, very hard to clip and he has ripped them twice....our youngest beagle, came from a show breeder, and she removes them routinely as part of the show policies. I wish Cobi didn't have his....it's so easy to do when they are puppies, just a few days old. We neuter or spay the dogs, and these parts are living parts, not a good enough reason for me to keep the dews. Casie, I swear holds, grabs and can use his paws as well as Cobi with his dew claws. Maybe my dogs are just different, smarter, brilliant, or just plain different.

Casie and Cobi's mom
cobismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

This must be a cultural thing- no one removes them routinely here in Australia- I dont know anyone with a dog without them. I am surprised people are removing them- especially that it is common.
sweetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

The way I see it is...if it isn't broke dont fix it. Sure it'could' happen but that isn't reason to remove something that is perfectly healthy. Kids break arms and it hurts but we do not remove arms at birth to prevent that. People do not need appendix but we do not remove them at birth, it's not removed unless there is a problem with it. That problem can be life thretning as well but we still leave them in it's place until that medicaly neccasary time.

Sweet- its outta control here. It's a package deal with alters in a lot of cases.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

I see SO many de claws literally hanging by a few pieces of flesh, ready to fall off. those should ones should be removed.

Both my boys de claws are "locked" securley in place. if either of them were just "hanging in there" id have them removed.
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hence-Medically neccasary. Thanks Lad. I actually never seen one hanging before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement