How much to feed my 13" Beagle? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much to feed my 13" Beagle?

My 13" Beagle, female, 2 years old, weighs 21 pounds. That is too much even though she is active.

I also have a 90 lb. Black Lab that the Beagle chases all day long. And, of course the Beagle steals food from the Lab!

I feed them Nutro Ultra Adult Weight Management food.

So, what should the Beagle weigh and how much food / snacks per day? I think she should be around 18 pounds to be real healthy.

Thanks.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure how much a beagle of that size should weigh since mine is larger. But I go by the serving size per day, per dog size, on the dog food label. He gets a measured amount morning and night (that total the daily amount) and his weight is ideal and remains steady. I give mine a 1-2 very small kong treats or alpo snaps w/a dab of peanut butter every day. Every now and then he gets a raw bone, too.

Mostly, I'd just be sure to feed them separately so that she's not stealing extra food from your other dog. If she's a couple pounds too heavy, that's probably why.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nope, she is good. Beagles that are thirteen inch can weigh up to thirty pounds. Seems like a little much, but my vet told me. Eighteen pounds is too skinny, in my picture. My seven month old thirteen inch is about twenty one to twenty five pounds, and he is pretty much almost skinny. Eighteen pounds would be starving a beagle to death.

"A dog is not just a dog. A dog is half of your soul." ~TriggerLuvu
TriggerLuvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerLuvu View Post
Nope, she is good. Beagles that are thirteen inch can weigh up to thirty pounds. Seems like a little much, but my vet told me. Eighteen pounds is too skinny, in my picture. My seven month old thirteen inch is about twenty one to twenty five pounds, and he is pretty much almost skinny. Eighteen pounds would be starving a beagle to death.
Beagles will never starve, they can eat nails, glass, beer cans, etc.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

All depends on the dog. no two dogs are different. give her 1.5ish cups a day and see how she does, gaining weight? feed less, losing weight, feed more.

I never feed m dogs what the bag says. they always give to high of a amount. Different quality food is also a major difference in portion size.
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

I remember reading somewhere when I first got Mixer that the portions on the dog food label are generous and they dont' need that much. So I started off with the lowest amount listed and just kinda judged from there if i needed to add more or take some away. I thought Mixer was on the heavy side and my vet said that even though she weighs more that a normal beagle that her size is still good so he wasn't concerned. I figured as long as she is healthy and not too skinny nor too heavy that I didn't need to worry about what the scale said. (now if i could only adapt the same theory to myself and my own weight, lol)
Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

The best way to see if your Beagle is at a good weight:

With the dog standing up, stand over them and look down. There should be a noticeable waist, but no visible ribs or hip bones protruding. When you rub down the the dogs sides you should be able to feel each rib as you move down.

If they don't have a waist and/or you cannot feel their ribs - they are overweight. If you can see the ribs or their hip bones protrude, they are underweight.

---
This if for ADULT dogs, obviously puppies tend to be quite round, which is fine. This weight standard is the same for nearly all hounds.
epoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Beagle mix is 45 pounds but I feed her a half cup in the morning and a half cup in the evening. Of course she gets treats/carrots at different times throughout the day.

Azeni my Bloogle mix... part beagle, part boxer, part bloodhound, 100% crazy

Roman- My deaf Lab, Pittle, something else mix . You dont relize how lazy you are till you rescue a deaf dog.
collegepitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the input everyone. She is a little roundish looking down at her standing on all fours. So I think she needs to lose a pound or two.

I'll give her 1 cup in the morning and about a 1/3 rd. cup in the evening, and she does get healthy low fat snacks during the day. But, I will watch I don't overdo on the snacks.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Do you have any pictures of her you could post?

Ally is 13", and is probably about 25 lbs. She doesn't look fat at all, nor does she look too thin.

Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement