Best of the Budget dog food brands? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best of the Budget dog food brands?

I have been feeding my dog newt, Nutro Ultra Holistic for over a year now. It is healthy and nutritious and he loves it. Its not BB wildnerness or BARF, but its great for him and he does well on it.

Problem is, 2 weeks ago we were grociery shopping and when we had finished getting the families food, we went after the dog food. We just didnt have enough money left to purchase the Nutro Ultra. Instead we were forced to purchase the much less expensive Rachel Ray Nutrish.
He hated it. HE wouldnt eat it unless he was very very hungry. Normaly he eats at 545pm every day, instead he would ignore it til 7-800pm.

I felt horrid that i couldnt afford his good food, but i was broke, i just couldnt swing it.

So thats were this post comes in. We need to discuss alternative foods to the more expensive food we prefere to give here on this sight. I know blue baffalo and its wildnerness line are popular as are other super premiums, but we need to find and discuss viable cheaper/more affordable althernatives for those times that we cant afford the super premium stuff.
THere are Tons and tons of the cheaper stuff, one of them is bound to be a viable alternative.

Case in point i was VERY VERY VERY tempted purchase the 44lb bag of Purina Dog chow, becuase it was on sale for only $19.99. Thats right, a 40lb+ bag of dog food for that low a price, was very very hard to pass up. But I did, and looked for the brands that i thought had the best nutrient list. WHich is why i settled on Rachel Ray. Tho that Massive bag of purina was hard to pass, becuase that would have fed newt for 2 months or more. RIght now a 30lb bag of Nutro ultra is $49.99Before tax. I just cant drop $50 bucks right now on that. Thankfully i had enough dosh saved up to get a 20lb bag which will last him a good bit. Oddly the 20lb bag is much more affordable then the 30lb bag? Not sure why.

So Any advice on which brands of the affordable brands should we be looking at when we are broke but need dog food? I know it may not be the best, but it will keep him nourished till i can get the best stuff. I hope not to draw to much ire with this post, but im sure someone here will understand.

Last edited by mordis; 04-16-2011 at 01:49 PM.
mordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was using bule buffalo this food worked best for our beagle. Like you started looking at different food and ratings. Found out the kirkland signuture from costco was rated even a little better . So we brought home a forty pound bag for around 25 dollars. Bandit is doing very well with it his poop is still very firm and all is going well it has been around three months now. Hope this helps out.
bandit09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's ok when you can't afford the best. But knowing how to shop for a dog food is the most important part. You can get a 15$ dog food that is only worth about 3$ or you could get a 15$ dog food that is worth the 15$. It's all about knowing how to read ingredients and the tricks the companies use. This is on all brands as some of the 'good for you' foods use cheap tricks.

Having a roation of food works well not only for the dogs health but for your pocket as well when you can afford the best. there is also a try and find out method, sometimes that expensive brand isn't the right brand for your dog.

As for not eatign the food, put the bowl down for 15 minutes take the food up and no food until next feeding. That is controling his food so he doesn't want to be picky about what he gets and it's also much better for his habits and health to remain on a schedule like that.

The biggest thing I have against some brands (espcially nutro products) is their grain splitting. Rice, rice bran, brewers rice = an extream amount of one product...rice. Which in turn when it's together will outweight the meat ingrets making it a grain based food. So what out for those tricks.

You can find a low cost good food if you know how to check those ingredents and even better yet you will learn how to find something worth th price on the bag.

DogAware.com: Commercial Dog Foods
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nutro ultra 35$ -15lbs (grain based)
Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Rice Bran, Lamb Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Oatmeal.......

Chicken soup 27$ for 18lbs (a lot of rice but much better price for less grains)
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon

Wellness 15lbs = 30$ having the named sourse next to the same source as a meal is very good and heavy in meat based, as long as the same grains are not repetative and next to each other it's safer to say this remained meat based.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice),
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

What will you do when your dog needs vet care? sorry but if you can affored to even feed him. should you have him> not trying to be rude.

Do you have a costco?

Sure you can feed a low quality food. plenty of dogs survive off it. but are left with horrible skin issues, allergies, rotten teeth, gas, terrible shedding ect.
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAD85 View Post
What will you do when your dog needs vet care? sorry but if you can affored to even feed him. should you have him> not trying to be rude.
Well, that was. Would you rather have the dog given up to a shelter because they cant afford to feed them high quality dog food? Questioning what a person would do if VET car was needed, just because they cant afford top quality dog food, is way out of line IMO.

With the economy these days, and sometimes drastic changes in income, cuts in pay, lay offs etc.. your monthly income levels can change to the the point that a dog that was affordable maybe a month before? is not so much affordable now. You do the best you can for all parties involved, including our furry kids!

I think we all want to the best for our animals and give them the highest quality food available for them, that we can afford. Plenty of animals have survived on a lower quality food, if thats all they could afford.

Kudos to you "mordis" for doing the best you can for your pet during these hard times.
LucysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why on earth would anyone pay the price of Nutro Ultra with its grain particles, generic fat, beet pulp, soy and menadione when you can get good food for less? You can buy really good foods like Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Castor & Pollux, Merrick, Taste of the Wild, Canidae, Solid Gold and Pinnacle for less than Nutro Ultra and none of those brands have any of the objectionable ingredients listed above. Nutro Ultra even uses corn gluten in some of its formulas. Decent foods for less money are Costco's Kirkland and Tractor Supply's 4Health if you have access to those places. Petsmart's brand Authority, while not a really good food is better than many foods that cost twice as much. It is better than Nutro, Sciene Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Pro Plan and Purina One. It has corn but the corn is much farther down the list than those other brands and it costs half as much.
maquignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lad85, I get reduced cost vet care due to the fact that i married my vetinarians daughter. I take very good care of my beagle and i do not appreciate being told i should not have him. Especialy after the drama i went through the first year of my ownership with him.

Ok on to the foods, problem is, most of the foods that are going to cost less, are going to have corn meal and glueten and beet pulp and rice in it. I like nutro ultra becuase it has made his coat nice and shiny and soft, he is healthy, dosent need to eat alot of it to get his nutrition and his poops are small firm and easy to pick up.

So when shopping for the budget brand foods, what comprimises should we be looking to make? Obviously im not going to find a $19.99 44lb bag of food that is grain free and up to par with super premium standards.

Look I only make a tad under $19k a year, with 2 kids and wife, so i have to stretch the budget as far as possible. THat is why im looking for guidance incase i have to go low ball again. RIght now at my pet stores, blue buffalo costs more then nutro ultra.

So, we need to come up with a list of obw approved budget brand foods that can do in a pinch.

Edit to add, my vetinarian father in law, says that all he ever fed his dogs, was alpo. His dogs were all very healthy and full of life on the farm. With many acres to run and roam to there hearts content. Infact i spent a lot of time with his last dog, a wolf hybrid, that uptill his last days ways strong and full of life. Now thats not a endorsement of alpo, just stating what he just told me on the phone.

Last edited by mordis; 04-16-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I have to say we don't buy expensive or even "affordable" high-quality food. I love my dog as much as the next person, but I feed regular dog food to him and he's quite healthy and happy with it. He has no known allergies, no skin problems, his coat is glossy and beautiful, his weight is on par, his stools are ideal (in that they're firm and regular), he barely sheds at all, and his teeth are in good shape. Sure, he has some gassy moments here and there, but not every day (and who here doesn't? LOL!) If you can afford the fancy stuff, that's great, but feeding ANY food to a loved pet is better than a dog sitting in a shelter or running stray. I know there are some benefits to the high dollar stuff, but when my dog is just fine on the cheaper products I'm not going to switch.

I truly think that a lot of hype is put into the marketing of making people think they aren't doing well enough for their pets unless they buy better/$$$ foods. As people, we eat a lot of "junk" preservatives and fillers, too.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Seriously, we need to think about this. THere will come a time when we all will face some financial crisis and or tough spot and need to make cuts. I cant always afford the super premium stuff. Sure i want to feed orijen or totw or blue wilderness, but christ allmighty they cost as much as nutro ultra or more in some cases. God i went to a small specialty store, and saw there selection. ONLY thing they had was a few types of ULTRA high end food. One couple came in and bought 2 large bags, I think 40lbs and paid $120 for them. That is rediculous.

THere has to be something at walmart/kroger et all that is goodenough to get them through the tough times. Sure it might not be the most prefered food, but if its aafco certified at least it has some kind of minimum nutritional amount in it.

SO, we need to discuss for the benifit of not only me but future newbs searching our fourms in the exact situation were in. We need to compile a list of commonly available cheap foods that would be suitable for our dogs in a pinch or if at that moment its all they can afford.

Ill say this, rachel rays food isnt the best compared to nutro or the others mentioned, but it has way better ingredients then pedigree or any of the purinas. I think ill start this off.

First item on the list of good cheaper foods for our dogs is rachel ray nutrish.
Lets keep this ball rolling, this is not only for my benifit but for the benifit of all the members and for any future newbs who come a searching.

Lastly i think we need to talk about any comprimising we can do with the ingredient label. Every single food in walmart has corn listed as the first ingredient. Except RAchel ray. Oddly I went to Pedigre's website and there proud of there ingredients. LOL they have a videa about why corn is so good for our dogs, as well as all the other crappy stuff they put into it. THey even go so far as to say, they welcome lable readers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement