Dog licking everything - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 04:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog licking everything

Hello everyone, I found this forum attempting to search for some answers to my dog's behavior.

My girlfriend and I have a 5 year old beagle who has starting licking everything. He likes the air, the cabinets, the kitchen floor, the carpet, concrete, anything. While he is doing this he will also try to consume any paper product, food, etc he can find until he vomits. He will vomit 3 or 4 times before he is finished. He has done this twice before in about a year, but this week he has done this 4 times.

We have learned to lock him in the kitchen when he starts doing this, as his puke is a lot easier to clean up on vinyl than carpet. I know this is gross, but his vomit is usually foamy and/or slimy when this happens. We are at a loss. Thinking of taking him to a vet but we aren't sure if they would find anything. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
timosatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

sounds like a stomach issue, dogs licking the carpet, cabinets ect.. is often a sign of stomach discomfort, it's related to the same instinct that makes dogs eat grass when their stomach feels sour. Unfortunately, some dogs will make their situation worse with all of this licking, because they'll end up swallowing air as they do this. Vomiting is often seen after the onset of these behaviors. You could also try massaging his tum if he starts or even some stomach relief medicine

before one of these episodes is your dog exposed to a substance such as a new air freshener/hair spray/carpet fresh/perfume ect... it could be causing allergic reaction causing the nausea
ArthurDudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds to me that it is either a nervous habit or a stomach issue. Molly is high strung and nervous, and she will lick the carpet, my hands, the air etc. She will also do a lot of licking prior to vomiting.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies! He hasn't been exposed to anything new recently... but he does have a habit of eating whatever is within reach; he is a very gluttonous dog. The last time he started to do it my girlfriend said he drank his water really fast, so maybe it has a lot to do with an upset stomach. It's weird because the behavior is almost compulsive, it seems like he just can't stop. I took a video of him the last time in case I needed to show the vet, and he was just laying there, stretching his tongue all the way out and then pulling it back in over and over.

We will be changing his food soon to see if it helps. We know he has some allergies so we are going to see if it helps.
timosatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good idea taking the video. It does sound like a compulsive/nervous behavior.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

My beagle has 2 different kinds of licking going on. There is the nervous, frantic, super quick licking (mostly the carpet) when he is sick. I always know when he's going to throw up because he does this. But, he also has a terrible OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) problem where every night/morning before he goes to sleep, he has to lick, lick, lick the covers, couch or me (clothing or skin). He can do this for as long as 30 minutes or even an hour sometimes. The vet has told me OCD, but I often wonder if his stomach hurts or maybe he needs a salt block like a horse. LOL!
abornich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi, It could be excess acid in his stomach. Thats what the vet told my beagle had when we took him to the vet because he kept throwing up white foamy bile, she gave him a tablet and he was fine.
nuttynat1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

If its a nervous issue then that is normal for Beagles to lick a lot. My Beagle licks my skin all the time. I actually enjoy it and she knows I like it. I can point to my leg and say "lick" and she will lick till I tell her to stop. This just is a calming technique if they are nervous as well. Beagles or any dogs lick as a calming method. It doesnt always mean they are sick. If your dog is having bad stomach issues then they will eat grass as a substance to help them throw up. I dont think the licking carpet or tile or cement is actually a sign of stomach issues. I think it is more related to calming techniques that they have learned over time. Im not saying eliminate the stomach potential but you will know if they are having stomach issues. You will hear rumbles and you will smell it in the air...trust me! I have been there. Usually stomach issues are caused by their diet etc though. I hope this helps a little. This is only my opinion and not a professional opinion in anyway.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

The fact that he's doing the licking, consuming something and then vomiting does suggest some sort of stomach upset. It could be minor and the video may help the vet determine that. I know Sullivan, if his stomach is upset, is adamant and compulsive about going outside and either eating grass or even in the winter eating snow. There's no stopping him and there's no getting him to change his mind. May be a little reflux, allergies or like you said, eating what he shouldn't. Be wary of changing too many things at once or you won't ever be sure what worked. I would mention it to the vet next time but unless it's something serious, a little canned pumpkin or even a small dose of Pepto once in a while may help if it's simple stomach upset.
Sullivan's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

To the original poster - did you ever figure out what was happening? My beagle has the same exact symptoms - even after being put on prilosec and pepcid AC. I would most appreciate it if you found an answer if you could share it with me. We are doing a special GI exam to see if there is a stomach/digestive issue because this has been an ongoing problem and we aren't able to continue to care for the dog when he has these episodes and the poor little guy just seems in such distress.
mccabe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement