Dealing with epilepsy - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dealing with epilepsy

I was just wondering if anyone elses beagle on here is epileptic.

I know it can occur in a breed, and my girl Priscilla is one of those beags that have it.

It's really sad when she has a seizure and oddly for a time before and after a seizure, her house training goes out the window.

Other than that, she is a healthy and happy beagle.

Does anyone else have experiences like this?
kamicowzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

So sorry to hear Priscilla has the Big E. Epilepsy is fairly common in Beagles, unfortunately, but the good news is that most dogs do well with a daily dose of whatever the drug du'jour is these days. My very first Beagle, Finis, had epilepsy, and he did just fine on his medicine. Is Priscilla on any meds? And if it makes you feel any better, my Chloe's house training goes out the window at any given moment and she doesn't have epilepsy! (Today = two pee spots and a really big poop, all in the living room.) How often does Miss Pris have her seizures?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm they are fairly random...but I'd say one every two to three weeks.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

My beagle seems to have his seizures every few months. He has been on phenobarbital for a little over a year now and his meds were increased 3 times.
jenncarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncarrera View Post
My beagle seems to have his seizures every few months. He has been on phenobarbital for a little over a year now and his meds were increased 3 times.

I tried phenobarbital with Priscilla. Not too sound neglectful or anything, but I took her off of it. It didn't decrease her seizures at all (in frequency or severity). It was just a constant take it for two weeks, come in for a blood test, different dose, take it for two weeks, come in for a blood test....etc. It became so expensive that I couldn't afford that vet anymore.

I am actually working with a new vet to find an alternative treatment, but they have said that if it isn't interfering with her quality of life and she doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects, we can just see if getting older lessens them.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Our Beagle doesn't have it but our Chow/Lab mix does. She's been on meds for a couple years and never has a seizure until we go to the Vet's.

We discovered it after she had three or four in one night and then we got her on meds and she was fine for 2-3 mos. The first trip to the Vet she had one in the front doorway. We thought that was just a fluke but the next visit the same thing happened. Finally we thought we'd fool her and take her in the back door. 10 ft inside the door she realized where she was and had a seizure. Now the Vet comes out the car for her exams.

I would say our Hallie has led a perfectly normal life on med as long as we stay away from the Vet's office. She's on two different meds.
Eddie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

well it is not about dogs but my nephew had epilepsy and while i was reading up on it i found that some people have good luck with a high fat diet.bacon and cheese on buttered toast for breakfast type of thing.might be worth a try. you might have to run the extra calories off them but if it helps it may be worth it.
good luck.
paws pressed for your pup.
dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

My maggie (beagle) had her first seizure at the vets....2 nd one at the vets...3 rd at home ....she's had about 6 in a year...
morgan2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default rough morning for Cleo

Two months ago our beagle, Cleo found us. (Just showed up on our front porch crying!) She is the sweetest little girl, vet says about 2 years old. This morning while we were out going potty, she began shaking terribly, then started walking sideways like she was drunk. It was horrible! I didn't know what to do so I scooped her up and my husband and I ran her to the animal hospital. She was better when we got there, but still not herself. The vet told us beagles are more prone to seizures and we need to keep a journal...this may be her only one or there may be more. It was so, so sad. She's sleeping the day away now. I hope she wasn't abandoned for having health "issues". She's getting lots of TLC here!
tdallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh so sorry to hear about your Beag...hope she feels better. I can imagine how frightening that was. Keep us posted.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement