Any tips for effective excersise - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any tips for effective excersise

HI, This maybe a stupid question but, it has come to my attention that me and my dog are both sedentary.. I know i could stand to lose a few spare tires and my vet says newt needs to loose 5 pounds. So here i am in need of ideas for effective work outs that will wear him out and help me out.

I think that going on a long walk is the first step i need to improve on. Currently we only do about 15 mins aday. I have plenty of land and stuff so its only my own fualt for not doing it. One way i know i can make it more interesting for me at least, is to do some target shooting while were out. since its been a few years since he has hunted, i think it will help him get used to the sound of a gun again. Talking about using .38 revolver lol, thats what i target shoot with now. MY question is this, how long is appropriate to help him get enough of his energy out? Im not a particularly fast walker, and worry that at my slow speed that 30-45mins will not be enough for him.

Outside the walking, what else can I or anyone else in this world do if they are running low on ideas for excersise. What about obediance training, is that a good work out? God knows that we both need to work on it, but will it be enough?

I have thought about saving up and buying a doggie treadmill, tho I dont know much about them or if there even reccomended by anyone here.

Would doing agility help us both, are the courses hard to set up? I dont know of any courses here in north eastern indiana

Well any ideas are welcome. Im sure that anything is better then doing nothing. I look forward to your replys.
mordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

if your dog will fetch or chase a ball/stick it would be easy to incorporate some of that into your walk.
after walks if I come inside and sit so do the dogs.
if i sit outside in the lawn chair they will continue to play, so just being outside helps.
any neighbors who have dogs that could come over for a play date?
dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Aye we have a neighbor with a friendly dog, but neither of us has a fenced in yard yet. Im still saving money for the invisifence system. I would love to let him roam the yard while im outside with out the fence, but i know he will end up in the next county.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't worry about time - I measure distance - Sophie and I walk at least a couple of miles every day. Also, my daughter runs track, and she and Sophie run together.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

buy a treadmill for yourself and you can teach the dog to use it... fetch is always a good thing too..... or get a long lead and take a walk in the woods and let the pooches nose wander... just a few thoughts hope it helppps
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Oprah had to use an underwater treadmill at the "doggie fitness center" last year. That and a highly monitored diet helped her lose 10 pounds. However, neither of us "wintered well" and we've both picked up a few. Actually counting her calories is what works. Talk to the Vet about a prescription diet food and learning how to count the calories. Will he eat raw carrots? Some dogs like them and they are lower than biscuits.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ebai

I have a dog backpack from a company called Ruffwear that I use when we go on walks/hiking. When I was in the military we used to have to put on huge packs and go on brisk marches as a means of training/exercise... its basically the same concept. However, i don't load him up like I used to have to. [ha-ha] A couple of bottle waters for weight, keys and a cell phone mostly. My vet suggested no more than 5% of his body weight, but I'd check with your vet first to see if he's healthy enough for a pack. Apparently, weight them down too much, too often, they'll show joint deterioration (which is an unfortunate but common genetic disease prominent in the hips of beagles).

The days I'm feeling fairly lazy I take him out and play fetch for about 45 minutes... though I find the best exercise that tires him out the most is when we go for swims. I could almost swear he's part fish sometimes, and better for his joints to boot! Anyway, its been really fun (and healthy) doings activities with my dog. Its really a bonding experience. I highly recommend it! =)
ebai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

well, he spent all day with us at the various mothers day events around the family. He got lots of walks and and such and had a great time.. Must have worn him out becuase he was still pooped today.

Im gonna look up that ruffwear pack, maybe me and my vet can find a good amount of weight to put init that is safe for him. I would love to take him swimming but i dont have a pool and the one person inmy family that does, wont let dogs init.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Next Monday I'm going to a workshop by a "natural vet," so I'll ask all kind of questions about the best way to keep our Beagles' weight right, exercise, treats, EVERYTHING. It's a free workshop, too - yay! I will let you know what she says. It will be cool to talk to a vet who is into natural stuff and not a bunch of prescriptions!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mordis, is your Beagle a 13" or a 15" Beagle? That will make a difference on food, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement